Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I thought they were sold out so thank you for this link.

I get where 34C is coming from and I also appreciate Babs point of view. I wasn't going to buy one as I only ever saw Deltics on the GN main line and as I have so often boringly reminded folks I model BR fifties/early sixties Great Eastern. I can have a variety of large LNER steam engines as I spotted A3s, A1s, A2s and A4s at Cambridge. Top Shed had a running in turn to Cambridge and back for locos that had been serviced or repaired ............ oh and diversions via Ely when the GN main line north of Hitchin was closed for any reason. What I never saw in Cambridge was a Deltic. I presume that Finsbury Park had no requirement for such a running in turn (fitters supplied on East Coast services perhaps).

I also have a Bachmann 55 and DP1. What a livery .......... the excitement of seeing the original Deltic growling at speed through Sandy can never be forgotten; a B16/3 wheezing up the incline to take it over the mainline with Deltic speeding south under that very bridge; etched in my memory.

So all that means that I do not need the Accurascale model ............... but then I followed the link and there it was ........... Pinza . with full sound. Yes it was 34C with his Woooommmm .......... voooooom ........... wooooompa etc that did it for me. Happy memories ........... brings me right back to my pimply youth. So I ordered one just a few minutes ago. Now I have to imagine that Pinza was rostered to haul a Newmarket Races special from Kings Cross to .. well Newmarket. No room to stable or service the train at Newmarket so it ran through to Bury St.Edmunds where it would run round, wait a few hours then ease back to Newmarket to pick up the winners/losers/drunks and take them back to London. S'my railway but I would like to know if that did ever happen.

Best regards ...................... Greyvoices (alias eagerly awaiting Deltic John)

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Aliteration .... Babs burst bubble. No need for any bubble to burst Babs.

I liked your memories as they bring our models to life. Goodness me, that takes me back ........... Dan Air. I wonder if you knew the Dan Air hostess who transferred from mid-air to work in the London office? I remember her commuting every day on my train between Cambridge and London. That would be late eighties.

I am like 34C in that I hate glaringly obvious in models but I lack the skill and patience to be a real rivet counter. I remember being really upset that a certain model shop ventured into model commissioning and then accepted an unusable pantograph specification ... for those of us who like to run our electric locos "pan-up" to get that characteristic up and down bobbing look. I was wrong at the time for being so harsh because I probably burst a few bubbles of joy.

I am quite a laid back sort of character but I too can have my intolerant moments.

Best regards .................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I followed your link to Deltic Chonicles 34C and found it to be vey informative as it listed duties that were exceptional. I typed "Cambridge" into the search box and the initial hit D9015/9015/55015 was for D9015 Tulyar:

With yet another failure in service for 55015, this time on Sunday 17th July 1972 with the 1N29 18:00 King's Cross - Newcastle (the second failure in two days) the DME commented... "following this second casualty in two days the locomotive returned to King's Cross where at test run to Cambridge, with technical staff riding, quickly showed up the defect. These two casualties illustrate the undesirability of returning a locomotive to normal service with no fault found".
1B66 15:33 King's Cross - Cambridge and 1B66 17:35 Cambridge - King's Cross.
1B66 11:30 King's Cross - Cambridge and 1B66 13:30 Cambridge - King's Cross.

I also discovered that the EE maintenance contract ended in 1966 but prior to that date all scheduled overhauls had been undertaken at Doncaster. That's not to say that the installed diesel engines or generators were not sent back to the manufacturers for refurbishment. I am unclear about that. I also found references to Darlington Works being involved.

What I ask myself is how on earth I managed to miss all the occaissions when the GN main line workings north of Hitchin were diverted via Cambridge. I recollect that my main aim in those days was to combine a day trip to Peterborough with a clandestine bunk of March shed, which i did innumerable times (I was always thrilled to find a visiting ex NER loco. Even then I would have seen ECML workings passing through March and Ely ... but I never did. Later, when I finally moved back to Cambridge in 1983, I did witness such diversions and somewhere I have photos of HST's passing through Cambridge (though they usually halted on the through road for a crew change - in my observational experience).

I followed up on Deltic Chronicles to find references to Pinza, the model that i have purchased, with this enquiry Search results which combines D9007 with Cambridge though I have not had time to go through all the references yet.

Thank you for that link 34C. Hours of nerd type fun. When I am in my dotage (with this heat surely only a matter of a few weeks before I reach that stage) I will no doubt be tempted to match my notebook observations with the details in Deltic Chronicles ........... though restrictions on how much I am allowed to take with me into the nursing home may be a limiting factor. I do like to link my models back to the prototype railway as it adds much to the enjoyment of the hobby.

Best regards .................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Fed up with having my models languishing in boxes I had to put Pinza to the test:

Bookcase Audio equipment Electronic instrument Publication Gadget

Obviously running DC but a steady 0.4 amps looks healthy. I have not tried it on DCC yet but I can say that it does growl convincingly on direct current.

Best regards .................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
I am fine thank you Babs,

Counting down the days left in my 8 year stint of civic duties. I dream of the day when I can concentrate on my second childhood ................ nexy May. Meanwhile I dabble in odd moments.

Best regards ........ Greyvoices (alias John)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts