Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subject of detail and features is being discussed again in another thread. It will be apparent from my contributions that I am a sucker for "action" on my models. In quieter moments, I have been wondering how far I would go if money was not a consideration and came up with this list :

For steam:
Synchronised sound + variable whistle
Fire box glow synced with fireman shovel sounds
Water spray sound when refilling the tank from water troughs at speed
Working front lamps
"on demand" couplings - front and rear as appropriate
Smoke from chimney
Steam from cylinder drain cocks and safety valves if blowing off
Driver's eye view camera

Control system - Regulator, reversing gear, brake etc.

Some of this is available for OO, but I think if I was serious about it, I would have to move up to O gauge or larger so that the space would be available to fit them in. I'm not actually that keen on "real" steam because of the maintenance involved.

So that's my list. What would you want?

David

·
Registered
521 Posts
Feeding the loco driving wheels Dennis!
Big tonnage trains you know - lots of huffing and puffing, back and forwards, trying to get a grip, sparks and dust and squealing metal. A train spotter's delight, watching 15 coach steam hauled trains trying to get under way in a large station. Wonderful sights and sounds!

·
Administrator
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have some "Transaccord" LPs from the ECML. Plenty of A4s having trouble starting from King's Cross or York.

Does anyone know if those old Transaccord recordings were ever transferred to CD. I remember looking once but without success.

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE For steam:
Synchronised sound + variable whistle
Fire box glow synced with fireman shovel sounds
Water spray sound when refilling the tank from water troughs at speed
Working front lamps
"on demand" couplings - front and rear as appropriate
Smoke from chimney
Steam from cylinder drain cocks and safety valves if blowing off
Driver's eye view camera

Control system - Regulator, reversing gear, brake etc.

I'd have all that and raising and lowering pantographs, opening and closing doors. Pretty much anything thats going that adds to the realism.

·
Administrator
9,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>raising and lowering pantographs
I think Dennis needs that feature /now/!

>opening and closing doors
I forgot about those - mind you didn't the Triang Hornby M7 have an opening smokebox door to go with its glowing firebox all those years ago? Still, the chance to have locos on shed going through all the startup and shutdown rituals would be nice.

David

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
What I want is a loco that is totally free. Does not depend on the track for a power scource, and that is 4mm scale. It must also provide large amount of chilled beer when I click a finger, and the winning numbers for the lottery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts