Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone any idea where/whether i can get hold of plans of real stations in the UK? I want to get plans of the following if at all possible, so I can then model them.

- Rainhill Station
- Lea Green station (old not new),

and the Skew bridge at Rainhill,

many thanks!!

Ian

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Local libraries frequently have old large scale OS maps, normally in reference or archive sections. I would try there first. Failing that many books will have maps of the area frequently with station plans.

Regards

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 3 Apr 2008, 13:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Local libraries frequently have old large scale OS maps, normally in reference or archive sections.... ....Failing that many books will have maps of the area frequently with station plans.
The County Archive will usually have many more maps than the local library and are also worth trying.

The Middleton Press's books about many parts of the railway system are noted for both map extracts and old photos and are worth looking for as well.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
982 Posts
If looking for old maps try alan Godfrey Maps

www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk

They do some quite good ones from turn of the 20th century.

Russell

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Another source may be the NRM. I say this as I have recently been loaned a BRB plan of Margate station, which shows the location of everything (and I mean everything!) This would appear to date to Southern days with a new info panel grafted on.
As far as I know the BRB archives went to either Railtrack/Network rail or the NRM.

Regards

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE will show all railway stations in the current age.

but if like me you are thinking seriously about modeling a station which was closed in 1967, rapidly demolished and the site mostly reused, you've got to go to the archives. Fortunately for me I think one of Alan Godfrey maps will help a lot, so there's one in the post to me as I write.

David

·
Totally Crazy.......
684 Posts
I have loads as i have been slowly collecting old magazines and destroying them for there information ( plans , Station diagrams , photographs etc ) which i catalouge in scrap books. I guess if it was something specific i could always have a look for you - (There are about 2000+ track and station plans to go through). Also my husband has a really useful book called Railway Stations From The Air ( aerofilms ) - ISBN 0-7110-2980-6 and a book called An Historical Survey of Selected Southern Stations Volume 1 ( G Pryer and G Bowring) - ISBN 0-8609-3016-5.

Hope this helps you................. Other from that you could always go to the areas local records office and ask to look at the maps etc. At the moment me and my husband are building most of newhaven harbour in N - and the local records office has proved invaluable for drawings and maps and the local librarys for all the photographs and information.

Nikki

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Just to make clear that County Archive = County Record office. Some counties call it one and others the other. Look under the County Council, either in the telephone book or on their website.

Good hunting,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I was in my local branch of Waterstones today and came across a range of maps by Cassini Publishing Ltd. These were old (circa 1920s) 1inch to the mile maps (1:63,360) enlarged to the current Landranger scale of 1:50,000 an printed in a matching area to the current Landrangers. Not detailed enough to show station plans but they do give a good idea of how the railway fitted in the landscape - and how much less populated the countryside was at that time!

They also do similar maps from the original OS surveys from 1700s/early 1800s, though railways don't feature on these, of course!

Further information at www.cassinimaps.com if you are interested.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another source of maps and photos of railway features could well be your local history society or group. In many areas they are quite active and publish useful guides to the area in the past with various illustrations and photos. Most reference libraries have good quality large scale maps from different periods covering their area. For a small charge you can photocopy the bits that include the station you are interested in - don't forget you can use the 'enlarge' feature on the photocopier to increase the image size ( and even recopy more than once to increase the size still further). Good for the eyesight but not so good if you want to measure accurate distances from the copy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts