Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ever heard of a japanese manufacturer of brass locomotives called Adachi? i know they were in business late 70's-early 80's but apart from that i have no information at all. i cant find any reference to them on the net. but i have an Adachi loco (very nicely detailed) sitting here.

Peter

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** I know the name - they did some US O scale. Try emailing to these guys - they may have some info...

http://ocollection.e-radio.jp/c187.html - Its O scale Brass focussed.... and they do mention them along with about 30 other brass brands.

(Its a Japanese website, but chances are there'll be an ability to read and write english)

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
107 Posts
To add to the plot.
This thread tweeked my memory banks.
I had a very nice original boxed H0 scale Adachi brass model of the JNR steam loco class D51.A great runner and well detailed.
The D51 "DEY JU GO ICHI" in Romaji is a very famous class in Japan as is the D62.
I say "had" as I passed it on to a Japanese rail friend while here in Victoria on a honeymoon visit.I was a kind of a wedding present!
It will be well taken care of.
I could not find any information about Adachi.
Tenshodo of the Ginza has them second hand from time to time.Seen one on ebay some time ago.
A good Victoria friend here is named Adachi and sorry to say no relationship for any information.
Will continue to look.
What is your Adachi loco?
Cheers,
Bryan.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello there

Thanks for the extra info

My loco is a D62. A loco that I understand is not particularly popular in japan and so i was wondering how many they made?

It was purchased in 1979 but it more than holds its own against a modern counterpart.
mine was a pre-painted kit that had been assembled but never run.

I have been running it in this morning and putting some more modern lubricant on it! current draw has dropped by half an amp!

I intend to run it with my chinese stock. its asian and nobody will know!!

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
That's a nice looking loco Peter, and as you say holds up well for it's age.

Regards

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is a very handsome loco just the same Peter.
I got my D's and C's mixed up.
It is possible locos like the D52 may have been in Manchuria in the '30's and not out of place with Chinese rolling stock.
The C62 is probably the most popular in Japan.It was the crack express hauler Tokyo to .....
Forerunner of the Bullet trains.
C62-2 is the most famous with the swallow on the smoke deflectors.The "Hayabusa" Express.It spent it's last days in Hokaido hauling coal trains.
All these ran on Metre gauge.Todays Bullet trains run on 4' 8.5" gauge but everything else is metre introduced by the Brit engineers in 1871/2.
First train ran from Shimbashi to Yokohama in 1871 and the original British loco is in the transport museum in Kanda made by the Vulcan Foundry Leics.England.
Then there is the Treverthick sons in Japan and starting them on their own loco building,but that is another story.
I have the Katsumi model plus 4 four wheel chocolate passenger cars made by a company called Toby.
Tenshodo make a non brass one these days made in China.Far cheaper than their brass versions.
You can take a trip around Tenshodo's web site.It is in Japanese but maybe translate.
Also Katsumi made cheaper versions of steam locos.
Happy hunting.
Bryan.

PS Just noticed the D62 series #20 [so there were at least 20 maybe but also have a pic 1959 with D52 203 plate,doubt they made that many] on the front of your loco.The D62 is a 2-8-4.
They were made in1944 and there were several versions.
C52's were 4-6-2.
C62's were 4-6-4.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, Adachi are still trading you can look at their webpage, mostly steam locos and freight car kits, i did buy some bogie van kits from them about 4 years ago, strange as you buy the relevant bogies and wheels seperate, but i didnt contruct them as Tenshodo announced them in plastic rtr mode, six rtr for the price of the two brass kits!

ADACHI web page :- http://www.jmra.gr.jp/adachi/

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello there

thanks for the extra info. i am very curious about what 1:80 japanese loco's you have. i am just starting down this route. it really is a fascinating subject.

i would love to see some of their coaches!! the new ones are a bit beyond my price range though!

Regards

Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi model modern image so i dont have any steam locos
although the Japanese like us here in the UK often operate steam specials mostly using modern coaching stock.

Kato and Tenshodo are the only producers of ready to run reasonably priced steam locos, and with the current Yen to Pound they work out at over £200 (Kato) and £300 (Tenshodo).

I tend to obtain my models off the Japanese equivalent of e-bay (Yahoo auctions Japan) :-

http://list5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/20840...egory-leaf.html

If you use a translation tool you can see whats available, however 99.9% of the sellers on here will not ship internationally
so to buy these goods you have to use an auction agent who will act on your behalf and useually takes paypal (peace of mind
) see :-

http://www.rinkya.com/

you can really pick up some second hand bargains (translated into English as "junk") as second hand in Japan is often frowned upon unless its a rare item.

Please feel free to ask me any questions , cant say i can answer but i will try but as quoted above, i only really know about their railways after 1990.

Lew

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 5 Dec 2008, 07:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Peter,
I wish this locomotive had been done in O-Scale!

I've been a fan of the D62 Berkshires ever since they used it as the model for the Transformer Astrotrain. Since the late 1990s, I've always wanted to have a D62 in a dark violet color scheme (the basic black is OK too). I would run it with my American stock. (Don't ask me how... I'd make it work!)

(I also fantasized about having a 4-8-4 that looked like the Soul Train, but that was less of a want and more of a pitch to MTH or Lionel. It would have pulled a car with a music player inside -- MP3s on an SD card, or something similar.)

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didnt know about the Transformer reference, But I agree its a fantastic looking engine.

Its still the pride of my fleet. I have other engines that are worth far more and are much rarer and bigger and more powerfull and more detailed but of all of them, this engine has such presence on the rails.
It normally sits in a little display cabinet on my workbench.

I ahve seen a couple of them in gauge 1 but never O gauge.

To this day this is the only D62 I have ever seen in model form. I have a C57 and those come up for sale quite regularly.

Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts