Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember if I've posted about this before, but I'll ask you to bear with me if I have.
I bought the 02 from RoS and when it arrived in record time I was well pleased.. until I saw the bent running plate, the scratch on the roof and the screw in the bunker that was so tight that I couldn't get it out. I sent it back and asked for them to make sure those bunker screws were both removable. I asked this twice. I then waited for what seemed like ages for the replacement to finally leave Heathrow (posted pretty quick but held up) and get to me.

I was well pleased when it arrived today until I tried to get said screws out; same as before, one undid, the other solid. I cooled a nail in the freezer hopefully to shrink the screw and when that didn't work I sprayed a little PCB cleaner on it, thinking that that might cool the screw enough. It didn't. Just to make matter worse, I then saw that it only had one con rod!
Much to my surprise the box had a note saying "tested CM."

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
Very much your choice, but I would return for refund at this point. (The model will run successfully without coupling rods as the driven wheels are gear coupled, probably why the missing coupling rod wasn't spotted.)

Declared prejudice. The mechanism design was by Dave Jones, and I wouldn't give much for its longevity in regular use, especially as future maintainability is problematic due to unorthodox construction, and dependence on bespoke parts. Give me a solid cast chassis block, steel axled wheelsets, coupling rod transmission of drive, wiper pick up and all screw together construction mechanism for steam locos, or don't bother. These are well proven as adjustable and maintainable in the long term, and the working parts can be substituted with kit spares if the the original manufacturer's parts supply is unavailable.

·
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very much your choice, but I would return for refund at this point. (The model will run successfully without coupling rods as the driven wheels are gear coupled, probably why the missing coupling rod wasn't spotted.)

Declared prejudice. The mechanism design was by Dave Jones, and I wouldn't give much for its longevity in regular use, especially as future maintainability is problematic due to unorthodox construction, and dependence on bespoke parts. Give me a solid cast chassis block, steel axled wheelsets, coupling rod transmission of drive, wiper pick up and all screw together construction mechanism for steam locos, or don't bother. These are well proven as adjustable and maintainable in the long term, and the working parts can be substituted with kit spares if the the original manufacturer's parts supply is unavailable.

·
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I decided last night that I'd go for a refund, so it's all packed away and I'm off to the PO shortly. I phoned RoS last night and the bloke I spoke to didn't seem all that fazed. I suppose he's used to these things going back. I should have known about the chassis design, but then again, I shouldn't have to worry about that. I do hope the Wainwright D class isn't the same.
I'll order a Bachmann H2 'South Foreland' in olive green when I get the refund. At least with Bachmann I'm in with a fighting chance.

Now to wait and see how long it takes for this pile of junk to get from down under to Sheffield.

·
In depth idiot
7,808 Posts
The Bachmann GNR/LNER/BR IvattC1 atlantic - the mechanism for which is the same layout as in the LB&SCR atlantics as these were real life copies of the Ivatt design - are entirely conventional, and mine performs beautifully, in Bachmann's usual style. Very pleased with it, especially it's traction, which can be improved if wished by adding weight. These were so difficult to get working well from a whitemetal kit, all those wheels crammed in under a close fitting structure, very grateful to have a good RTR OO model of this, the seminal UK express loco design of C20th. Doncaster demonstrating the way forward to maximum power, you need a larger grate area, and high superheater/grate ratio.

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
Yes I agree I have a C1 atlantic although I did send it to Hinkley as I think the motor gave up however that was sorted and otherwise the Atlantic is a great loco and I am sure you will enjoy this one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts