Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Out of curiosity, I bought a box full of ADE track on eBay. This seems to be the old Conrad track which is sort of similar to Rocoline but with a much more realistic ballast base. There are boxes of straights and large radius curves and a few points. The points seem to come in several pieces so you can change the geometry. They have underballast point motors very similar to Rocoline.

I thought I might use it for a small portable test layout.

Anybody out there know anything about this track and any thoughts on the appearance. Rail seems a close match to Roco code 83.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken this is the original Rowa track - I have some old Rowa catalogues somewhere & will have a look if you like - I could also photocopy/scan the relevent pages if it's any use to you.

I originally saw it in the catalogue during the mid 70's but was unable to obtain any information about it in the UK, which was a shame because I thought it looked very good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 27 Feb 2008, 15:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unless I'm mistaken this is the original Rowa track - I have some old Rowa catalogues somewhere & will have a look if you like - I could also photocopy/scan the relevent pages if it's any use to you.

I originally saw it in the catalogue during the mid 70's but was unable to obtain any information about it in the UK, which was a shame because I thought it looked very good.

That would be really helpful. I've scoured the web and found a few pieces for sale on ebay.de. It does look good. I use Rocoline and Tillig Elite with the ballast bases. I'd say this track is rather better looking than the Rocoline. The point geometry looks quite sophisticated with the ability to make complex scissors crossovers.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The track was designed by Willy Ade of Ade coach fame, it was well thought out with points in segments allowing any configuration of point to be made using standard parts for the blades and for the frogs.
I had started using this system, but found sourcing the track a real problem in the UK and sold it all.
As an aside Lima had a non ballasted version in there catalogue some years ago.

David

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (adecoaches26point4 @ 27 Feb 2008, 19:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The track was designed by Willy Ade of Ade coach fame, it was well thought out with points in segments allowing any configuration of point to be made using standard parts for the blades and for the frogs.
I had started using this system, but found sourcing the track a real problem in the UK and sold it all.
As an aside Lima had a non ballasted version in there catalogue some years ago.
David

Thanks David. Yes, some of the lot I bought was boxed in ADE boxes. I think I will try and source some more in Germany and use it for my portable layout/test track. It is a pity that Roco didn't adopt it to replace Rocoline.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scanned copies of Rowa catalogue arrived, thanks very much.

This really looks to be an excellent track system which, if launched today, would be very popular. It has the ease of Fleischmann Profi or Rocoline but with a much more realistic appearance.

The only problem now is that it has encouraged me to start another layout (small portable) to use the track I've acquired. The scissors crossover looks great except I'm two pieces short. Off to Ebay.de to search for more parts.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
David,

I think that the track still has a current patent ?
Its good to see a track system that is fully finished when purchased, I wonder what the price tag would be now ? as It was not a cheap option when it was being produced.
Show us how it progresses.

Regards,

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts