Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Forum Members..
I have been a memeber for a while now, but have only just got around to posting:...

I am English but have lived in Norway through marriage for a number of years,,,I have a lifelong passion for model railway`s..but due to illness am mainly restricted to reading and dreaming...That said my dear wife as discovered a bit of the Railway Bug! so she will be ,eventually building a small layout..with a few items i purchased on a recent trip to U.K.

My main question here relates to Electric Hobby Tools and especially PROXXON & DREMEL
I must admit to having little to no comprehention of hobby tools,other than what i have read and seen...so please bare with me..as i may not explain myself very well..

I often read that most of the dremel type tools are actually of only limited use when it comes to most modelling tasks,especially railway modelling due to the high speeds they run at, even at the lower ends? i.e. 5000-30000 typically..

I like the 400 SERIES DREMELS..but have always admired the PROXXON RANGE i do get a bit lost trying to get my head around 12volt versus mains..and even more so around the PROXXON 12 volt with transformer & speed dial e.t.c.

Can someone (Simply please) explain the pros & cons of the variouse types... and for example would one of the PROXXON 12 volt drills do most jobs for which it maybe called upon to do? or is MAINS the way to go..even though the speed seems to fast..in the main..Your help clarifying this situation will be greatly appreciated...

an aucillery question..does anyone know if PROXXON DRILLS will fit the DREMEL Work/Drill Stand..That at least looks better than the PROXXON DRILL STAND.Likewise can Dremel accessories fit proxxon drills?

i have several associated questions but will not be to greedy for the moment and give forum members a chance to answer the above questions,for which i thank you in advance

regards
Steve

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I have two Dremels one is nearly 15 years old and has suffered heavy abuse, it's a very useful tool, from track cutting to engraving it's number one in my book and it dosn't need a transformer, unless you buy the coreless one. The Dremel is strong and better than the Proxxon as a motortool.
Proxxon make brilliant precision micro tools. I have the Drill press, the miniture table saw, and the bench grinder, all are excellent, and get good use. I wish I'd bought the Proxxon scoll saw, but I have the Dremel !.
Proxxon sell the best diamond cutoff blades for your Dremel when you buy one, they are available in two diameters buy both.

Finally I wish I could afford to buy the Proxxon bench lathe and table milling machine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
Many thanks for such a good reply..most interesting..as i implied in my original post..i have no actual experience of any power hobby tools..so it is very helpful to recieve information from folk with first hand knowledge.

I have looked closely at the 400 series dremel..and as far as i can see it appears fine....but i have also heard good reports about the proxxon range...people saying Proxxon is lighter & slimmer...and just as well made?

Must admit i do not understand fully..the pros & cons of 12 volt battery or 10 volt with the new dremel..i was reading some posts on another site by some modelling guys..all agreeing that the dremels are to fast for most jobs? so that is why i mentioned the Proxxon 12 volt with transformer...can you or anyone else explain the pros & cons e.t.c. of 12 volt..and is the speed/torque control an advantage.?

If i have understood you..the proxxon accessories can fit the Dremel? does that work the other way to`?

I really do appreciate your kind comments. and i am in no way ignoring or questioning them..just widening the questions..so i can get a good overhaul idea in my head

all the best for now
Cheers steve

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
the small tools, cutters, grinding wheels etc are all interchangeable because there held in collets. My Dremels both plug into 240volt mains, and I'm happy with that. Proxxon don't have the same reputation of ruggedness as the Dremel with this type of tool. My advice is dont buy cheap tools, they don't last.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,923 Posts
I know nothing of Proxxon Tools, but do have a mains voltage Dremel and I'm well pleased with that. It has 10 speeds and at it's slowest does what I want it to, although that won't necessarily suit you. MMAD is quite right, they are pretty rugged, though I don't knock my tools around (unless they're hammers
). The Dremel doesn't have a great deal of torque at low rev's but that's probably a good thing if you're using it on something that you don't want to heat up too much.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HiGuys,
many thanks for your very kind contribusions, much appreciated...The dremels seem to be winning!I have nothing against the dremels, just thought i would explore the Proxxon offerings as well...having heard good things about them also..

Makemineadouble...good advice re-cheap tools..although i do not think Proxxon comes in to that catagory..although you were probably refering to the wider subject.

On the subject of low speeds..can you chaps please explain..something?with the PROXXON they have as you may know a couple of 12volt drills/grinders,they connect to a transformer..and if i am correct have some kind of speed dial? now to the uninitiated like me..that looks on the face of it, to give maybe..a bit more control..and lower running speeds am i correct..or well off the mark...and just to show how unknowledgable i am..why do they have a drill which connects to a transformer in the first place?how does it differ to a pukker mains version?

With regard to the Dremel rechargable 10.8 volt--which i have seen..does this model have any particular advantages over it`s mains relatives? other than no mains lead...because it appears to have the same speed range as the mains drills 5000-35,000..and why do they need to have such fast low end speeds anyway?

I would like also to buy the flexi shaft e.t.c. and work/drill stand..which if i am correct it does not matter which stands e.t.c. i buy as they will fit either make?

hope you do not mind me asking thes amaturish questions..am just trying to get the thing right,in my mind before i go out and buy the products...

all the very best for now
cheers Steve

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I cant offer any opinion on the proxxon but my dremel has done stirling service for 8 years now. i have had to replace the brushes but thats all (aprat from replaceing the cable when i accidently melted it with a soldering iron but i dont talk about that!).
An excellent tool.

i have the flexi shaft. but i actually thought the dremel shaft was a better made piece of kit anyway. i looked at them both in the shop. the dremel was about a fiver more expensive. sorry i dont know weather the proxon shaft will fit. the dremel shaft dosent clamp into the collets but rather has a square section on the end that fits into a recess at the bottom of the drill shaft. i think its a very elegant soloution.

Be carefull with the speed when using slitting discs. they can and do explode. make sure you wear safty specks.

I have never found the low end speeds to be a problem. if i want to do really slow work then i have a cheap drill i got from argos that does it much better than the dremel.

i find that the mains drills have far more torque than the 12 volt versions.

You also have the breeding. dremel have been making mini drills for 20 years (that i know about-probably longer) so they must know a thing or 2 about it by now.

Peter

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Peter,
very nice to hear from you,many thanks for your comments re-Dremel.I thanks you for the warning re-using slitting discs...very good advice! Dremel appears to be very popular with all you guys..and quite possibly will be with me to......., as i said, i just wished to explore proxxon to.

Unless anyone as an alternative viewpoint..i will probably go for the Dremel 400 series drill set, with flex shaft.I saw one the other day..at not to bad a price (for Norway anyway)?

I think i can understand about mains been better for torque..................

I do have a few follow up questions re--accessories e.t.c. mainly to do with how to best use them? a good example would be the slitting discs...i suspect these are used for cutting different materials?

I hear Dremel as a attachment that enables easy attaching & removal of certain accessories? but can not remember....

anyway please keep the advice, suggestions, coming all very useful.............

many thanks
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
cut-off discs. Don't buy Dremel, Proxxon do two sizes of diamond cut off disc's they last a very long time, dont shatter, well worth the money. They fit in the Dremel collet system. BTW I have about 10 or so collets, metric and imperial for all sizes of fittings. I always use saftey glasses.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,923 Posts
With slitting discs I tend to go for the el cheapo ones, not cos I'm mean, tight and miserable, but because, even though you have to be really careful with them, they do give a nice narrow cut if you need to slice a rail in situ, for an insulating gap for example. I would imagine also that the mains Drills would probably have more torque throughout the rev range than a 12 volt one would. Not 100% certain on that though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello Chaps,
Once again many thanks for all your imput..which is really most useful...
I must just explain..I live in Norway..and whilst i can buy most of the Dremel range of products...Proxxon is a bit more problamatic...so it would be very helpful to know..what particular discs e.t.c are regarded as better than the dremel equivelents? so maybe i can find an online supplier here in Norway..

Afraid it is not so easy ordering from PROOPS in u.k. as Norway is not in the EU..so we have all the customs tolls in place which in our case are very high....
I am not quite sure how the Norwegian Customs looks at tools..because we are allowed a limit for import of about £16.00 approx....( goods value)

so maybe able to pick up some DRemel accessories, which are very expensive here..much more than u.k.!

( Makemineadouble) If you can give me a list of which discs i should look for i.e. Proxxon.I can try and get these from a supplier in u.k. maybe?and which collets do i need to buy, and from where?please...

With regard to the Dremel work/drill stand any opinions/comments i like the look of it..is it as good as i think it ìs? have also seen one by WOLFCRAFT..which looks good to. but i think the Dremel one as more to it.

As it is standing at the moment this is the wish list:-

DREMEL 400 SERIES DRILL SET WITH FLEXI SHAFT
DREMEL WORK/DRILL STAND
PROXXON SLITTING DISCS ?

Please feel free to suggest more items for my wish list...how about the new cutting attachment?
and which drill stand vice is recommended? i have seen several, but feel sure their must be one or two leading contenders..your advice appreciated.(understand dremel do not make one for their stand)?

anyway..i will await further comment..and many thanks
cheers Steve

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
" must just explain..I live in Norway"
oah i see. proops would be a little trickey!

The dremel/proxon/anyone else slitting discs are pretty much the same. they are usually carborundum. what you pay for is the brand.
buy them withought the label and there 25p buy dremel ones with the little packet and they are about £5 for a couple. even proxon would be a bit overkill for the discs. just find a hobby shop. they are bound to stock them/. or try a propper tool shop rather than a hobby shop. some of them stock the bits.
squires are probably as cheap as anywhere and will probably ship to norway. they are very freindly with regard to not ripping you off witht he cost of postage.

If you give me your adress on a PM i will pop a couple of different ones in an envalope for you.

The diamond distcs are a bit more expensive but again one diamond slitting disc is pretty much the same as another diamond slitting disc.

There are also fibre reinforced slitting discs but really those aare too thick for us. i have got one but never used it.

Peter

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Peter,
Many thanks for your most interesting coments re-the relative prices of slitting discs e.t.c. I have already learnt a great deal..
So if i see some unbranded discs i should buy them? and leave dremel alone...i do not know any outlets here who sell proxxon..so it would only be dremel...

Of course the comments have concentrated on slitting/cutting discs..but i will be buying lots of other items..do i stick generally to Dremel accessories or look elsewhere for certain items?

In the main i would buy most of the items from here in Norway..possibly i could use proops or squires (if they send to Norway) for a few small items...I will certainly contact squires..today.

The diamond discs? in what situations do you use them?

Peter i would like to thank you very much for your very kind offer to send examples of the discs..i will send a PM to you later if i may.

al the very best
Cheers
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello steve.

Its a bit like buying a drill bit. generally 1 2mm drill bit is the same as another 2mm drill bit. it dosent matter who makes it. you can either get them cheeply or you can spend lots of money on the fancy packaging and the dremel name.

diamond discs are used in the same situation that you use slitting discs. but they last longer. they are not as brittle but they cost alot more.
I have got a couple but i dont use them very often because i am so afraid of breaking them. if you break something worth 25p who cares. breaking something worth a fiver is a bit more frustrating. its swings and roundabouts.

Peter

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Once again many thanks Peter....

I think i am understanding a bit better now...I have just sent you a PM Pete..so will look forward to hearing from you..further...

Cheers Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts