Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, would anyone be able to give advice on how I set about creating a farm lane/cart rack?

I was thinking of using filler or plaster and attempting to shape it that way as it won't be uniformly flat, it'll have ruts and bumps, and a small ridge down the middle.

Any advice appreciated, this is for an 00 gauge layout.

Many thanks

Justin

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (reverie158 @ 29 Sep 2008, 16:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, would anyone be able to give advice on how I set about creating a farm lane/cart rack?

I was thinking of using filler or plaster and attempting to shape it that way as it won't be uniformly flat, it'll have ruts and bumps, and a small ridge down the middle.

Any advice appreciated, this is for an 00 gauge layout.

Many thanks

Justin

Hi Justin,
Welcome to the forum,

You can use plaster of Paris for the lane/track though it doesnt have a long working time to model it, another way would be to use a water based filler having plenty of water to hand, if you have got a cart measure the distance between the wheels .... using a piece of plasticard stick two cocktail stick with the ends rounded off on it and use it as a tool to create your track.

An option is to cut a piece of polystyrene block to your basic shape of the track,follow the polystyrene block with a covering of plastercloth pushing it into the ruts of the track with a blunt tool, a soft paintbrush and plenty of water will give you time to put any final shape to it, i find a sponge dipped in water a good way to smooth off plastercloth ........ the plastercloth will meet the walls if you have them and be ready for paint.

A range thats good for giving earth effects is Woodland Scenics pigments ........a word of caution when using plaster/plaster cloth dont sand it smooth otherwise the pigment will not take as well.

Here is a link to Woodland Scenics take a look at the how to video section for more tips http://www.woodlandscenics.com/ some of the videos dont have sound though .......... one last thought while you are making your track a puddle in it would add interest.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I would also suggest looking at the real thing - especially the way water lays in the ruts.

Regards

·
Registered
762 Posts
QUOTE (reverie158 @ 1 Oct 2008, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated.
Justin, I do this by actually running the appropriate size vehicle which has revolving wheels over the nearly hard plaster/filler etc. Nothing looks more wheel ruts than actual wheel ruts. The hard bit is to get the medium at the right consistency to take the rut and not cling to the wheel.

regards, Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (billericaybill @ 2 Oct 2008, 01:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Justin, I do this by actually running the appropriate size vehicle which has revolving wheels over the nearly hard plaster/filler etc. Nothing looks more wheel ruts than actual wheel ruts. The hard bit is to get the medium at the right consistency to take the rut and not cling to the wheel.

regards, Andrew

I was going to suggest that method just have plenty of water handy to dip the wheels in so they dont stick to the plaster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you want an easy to use material for such features try HYDROFIBRE scenic modelling compound, its workable for hours and even when its dry, if you dont like your scene, just wet it and remix and start again! If you want more details Brian Considine ,BRITHO or I can help!

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Justin,

Have you thought of using modelling clay which stays pliable for hours.

Roll out the clay until it's very thin then cut out the shape of your cart track. Fix into position with PVA glue and trim to size. When your happy with it's position and width run your wheels along it a couple of times to make the ruts.

Hope this helps.

Expat.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (modellandscapeco @ 31 Oct 2008, 17:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you want an easy to use material for such features try HYDROFIBRE scenic modelling compound, its workable for hours and even when its dry, if you dont like your scene, just wet it and remix and start again! If you want more details Brian Considine ,BRITHO or I can help!

Good heavens - a mention,

In actual fact we have used a lot of this product on St L (the results can be seen in Brian Considine's gallery)

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts