Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, a bit of advice needed from all you seasoned train men. I have a lot of new Hornby 00 sets for sale and I would like to know where the best place to list them. I do not want to go the ebay road and have to pay a fortune in listing,ending and pay pal fees, thanking you all in advance

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well you did say you want to sell them. There are a million and one other online auction sites out there but none as well established and used as ebay. Many have nothing on and those that do(including the one linked to hornby's homepage) don't seem to get many bids. The other option is to list in one of the magazines classified sections.
Wait for a cheap listing day(every few weeks) don't take paypal if you don't want and then all thats left feewise is the final valuation fee. You could arrange a direct bank transfer instead of paypal. I suppose it depends how quickly you want to gt rid of your items.Another option would be to send a list of what you have to one of the model shops and see what its worth to them but bear in mind they will want to sell for a profit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
In spite of the bad stories you might hear about ebay - and it does cost to sell - you won't find a much better selling medium.

If you don't need to sell immediately wait until the Autumn as I find Model Railway items sell better in the autumn/winter months.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Another option, depending on how many of these you have to offload, would be to get a stall at a model rail event and charge the ridiculous prices that stalls do at these events. This would probably give your maximum profit but you would pay dearly for the stall.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You'd probably need to do a few events to clear everything if you have a lot. Plus there are the bargain hunt generation to consider as well who regardless of how cheap something is will always try to get a bit knocked off.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE I have a lot of new Hornby 00 sets for sale

When you say "a lot" and when you say "new" and when you say "for sale" could you be more specific?

Model Rail Forum does have site sponsors who help with the running costs of this forum and you have to admit that you do give the impression of being "in the trade".

I have no objection to members offering help to bona fide individual enthusists however you sound as if you are in it for profit.

You will therefore appreciate the need for clarity.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
And please don't take the above request the wrong way.

To have accumulated a large number of new sets just seems like a weird thing to do!

However if I saw 20 new sets for sale for £20 then I would accumulate a large number of new sets!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 8 May 2006, 08:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When you say "a lot" and when you say "new" and when you say "for sale" could you be more specific?

"a lot" = approx 12.

"new" = brand new, unrun, mint as it left the factory.

"for sale" = whereas someone pays me a sum of money to purchase

No I am not in the trade, if you happen to peruse the introduction thread and read what I have stated there you might get a better grasp of matters and not have to request the need for clarity.

As for the accumalation of a large number of sets being viewed as weird let me try and explain, since child hood any member of my family buying me a present for any occasion bought me a trainset, Loco, Wagons, etc most of which at some stage I have put to use. But of late I have been given numerous sets including a Flying Scotsman Live Steam Set, Orient Express Premier Edition Set, M&S Evening Star and another 9 sets that in my pocession shall never see the light of day.

Your observation about profit would be correct, I have no notion of selling 20 sets to some clown for 20 quid each that he may accumulate them too, I may be Irish but I am far from being a stupid, I would intend to sell them for a fair and equitable price.

What me asking for advice on this forum has to do with site sponsors I do not know unless they want stringent Soviet sattelite like state controls thrust upon anyone who on occasion might sell something,I hope not.

I hope this clarification is enough for you Gary if anymore is needed just shout

Regards,

John

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Well it has to be said that it is an uncommon situation.

Model Rail Forum has rules and they are in place to keep the forum content free of advertising and spam. Forum members appreciate this. It was not too clear where we were going with this topic.

However, now that we have the benefit of additional information we can offer relevant advice.

I personally would get hold of the receipts and see if the shops from where the items were purchased would take the goods back or exchange the goods.

That would offer the greatest return for the least amount of effort.

If you cannot get hold of the receipts then clearly you are a very good customer of your local stockist and you should be able to negotiate an exchange with him on favourable terms.

Happy modelling
Gary

PS On the subject of 20 sets for £20 it is possible to make such a purchase if you are in the right place at the right time. Why we are slightly sensitive to this is that a while back there was a situation where a new forum member did something such as this with 50 sets and tried to take advantage of the forum membership to make huge profits and at the same time avoid making any contribution to forum running costs. Those who do make a financial contribution and who do support forum running costs and help with content do deserve protection from those in it for a free lunch. Sponsors are important as without them there is no forum!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
You can list them here. Perhaps you will find someone to buy them.

Most auction sites will ask some sort of fee. That though becomes part of the 'cost of sale'. Sometimes it costs a bit to sell something.

Retailers are always looking for sets, but they won't pay very much. Rails of Sheffield, Hattons etc. They all trade in second hand items.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (johnb @ 7 May 2006, 14:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, a bit of advice needed from all you seasoned train men. I have a lot of new Hornby 00 sets for sale and I would like to know where the best place to list them. I do not want to go the ebay road and have to pay a fortune in listing,ending and pay pal fees, thanking you all in advance
Hi!You could try a local auction house,they usually charge around 15% plus VAT on sales,very roughly what you would have to pay E-Bay.With an auction house you will get the best price on the day,assuming the buyers have not got together and split the lots between them so reducing the bids.With E-Bay you will get the best price of over up to 10days,a slight possibility of a non payer,but other than that only the costs to meet.You do not have to take PayPal,it is expensive,but you do get more bids and you have the money in you PayPal account very quickly,which you can then transfer to your bank account at no extra charge for over £50 at a time.If you go this way add some of the costs to your postal charges,as long as you don't go silly,most buyers will accept this.
Regards.
John.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts