Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not built a model railway since I was a teen and now have a railway fanatic son. I have dug out what remains of my rolling stock and have tested it on some old track - and all but one of my locos are working!

I am now planning to build a layout to entertain myself and my children but do not have the space my parents had when I was younger, so need to have a baseboard that can be stored away and reassembled easily. The construction of a sectional board does not worry me - what I am concerned about is the joining of track sections where the baseboards meet.

Can anyone offer advice for an easy/the best solution - bearing in mind that, as he grows older, my young son will want to do this on his own?

I am planning a layout that would (assembled) be around 8' x 4' and am thinking of four 2' x 4' or two 4' x 4' sections - depending on negotiations with the wife re storage!

Thanks in advance.

Paddy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zmil.

That's a very interesting thread.

I had heard about using copper sleepers but not seen any in use - as shown in the photo. Very helpful.

It certainly seems to be a robust solution but wonder if bridging joints would prove easier and less prone to handling by a child? Would appreciate any other experiences/thoughts.

Paddy

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Paddy

another thread that has a couple of different techniques for joins Here

There's always more than one way to do the job

I made a light weight layout (40mm foam sheet glued on 3mm ply on a frame) that could be folded up against a backboard , then legs folded up underneath (held up by a small chain)and it could be wheeled away on casters for storage.

I wish I had some photos of it

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Paddy

I did find one photo - although it doesn't show it very well

The main board was about 195cm by 150cm it folded up against the backdrop held there by a hook - the legs folded inside the main board

The other set of legs had 1 bolt each to undo at the end of the Aluminum diagonal brace. the ladder shaped legs folded up one end at a time underneath the end board, the diagonal brace slipped in beside it , a small chain held the legs up in the middle , took about 5min to pull down or put up if moving it. or it could be left in place and folded up out of the way it was light enough for one person to handle and a 6 year old could reach the rolling stock from the inside of the well.

I could have made it lighter still but I recycled some old timber (about 40 year old varnished pine from a shoestore storeroom) That pink foam is high density can handle quite a heavy load. we used it as packing under pallets to even out the load when loading trucks ,sometimes 2 or 3 tonne would be held up by this foam , spread out over 4 ft .

I got the idea from a Model Railroader Magazine special -small layouts 8' x 4' etc

Regards

Zmil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's really great. I like the idea of the well giving access but am undecided as I figure the middle of the layout could be ideal for some detailed modelling - out of reach of small hands! Then again - maybe a lift out section............?

Food for thought!

Paddy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts