Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon going to paint the backscene for my model railway. It is one continuous sheet of lining paper pasted onto hardboard sheets which curve around the corners and is about 30ft by 18in in size. I want to do the whole thing in a sky blue before adding some white and grey for clouds.

I think that spray painting the blue, if not the white and grey as well, would be the fastest way to do this. The layout is in the garage and can't be removed, but there is an opening window. I don't think that the ventilation available would make it sensible to use any spray which cannot safely be used indoors. I think that I can easily mask everything else.

Essentially what I want, if it is made, is a spray version of water based emulsion paint. Does anyone know whether this is produced and who sells it? Thank you for any help that you can give. Robert.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (Doug @ 28 Oct 2008, 12:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Look for an acrylic paint. Acrylic can be thinned down with water for use with a spray gun.

Agree with Doug a good acrylic paint will work ....... thinned to the consistancy of milk sprays well, i've never tried the reeves paints http://www.greatart.co.uk/RUBENSPREMIAACRY...ylic-paints.htm but have seen them at pound shops here being sold off.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Robert

Not sure of English Brands , But you should be able to buy Water Based Spray cans as well, 2 cans should cover that area easily.

Failing that , I'd use a paint roller , If you are careful with how much paint you put on the roller, much less mess

Regards Zmil

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 28 Oct 2008, 19:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am soon going to paint the backscene for my model railway. It is one continuous sheet of lining paper pasted onto hardboard sheets which curve around the corners and is about 30ft by 18in in size. I want to do the whole thing in a sky blue before adding some white and grey for clouds.

I think that spray painting the blue, if not the white and grey as well, would be the fastest way to do this. The layout is in the garage and can't be removed, but there is an opening window. I don't think that the ventilation available would make it sensible to use any spray which cannot safely be used indoors. I think that I can easily mask everything else.

Essentially what I want, if it is made, is a spray version of water based emulsion paint. Does anyone know whether this is produced and who sells it? Thank you for any help that you can give. Robert.

*** You should add a "flow aid" to it then is can be rolled and brushed easily and will flow to a vry smooth finish - as good as sprayed. The paint section shouldknow what you are asking for if you use that term.

if you spray then use a flow aid as well as a little ater, plus a little methylated spirits (use a mix of 50 50 meths water to thin it).

This will let the spray gun tip stay clear as it lowers the viscosity of the paint more than just water. The spray gun should have a proper acrylic tip in it by the way - the consistency of milk is about right as Doug says but this will not work with a tip designed for spirit based paints.

An airless gun is usually best for indoor use - less of a cloud of paint created in the air.

I can't help thinking that rolling and brushing will be better - the need for careul protection or everything with spraying is a long time/big job, and adding this to the spray time makes it a toos up for time taken!

Richard

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (zmil @ 28 Oct 2008, 13:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Failing that , I'd use a paint roller , If you are careful with how much paint you put on the roller, much less mess

I was going to suggest the roller option as well - we painted our sales trailer with foam rollers and if a little time is taken a good finish results.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies, especially as I gave the wrong impression. I don't have a spray gun so wondered whether anything suitable was available in aerosol spray cans. I hadn't thought about using a roller but may do that instead.

Cheers, Robert.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi,

If you need to undercoat your hardboard, my suggestion would be to use an undercoat tinted pale grey, it will "soften" the blue.

Cheers, Bluey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts