Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I would certainl agree with the Waverley, Great Central, S&D and "withered" arm routes and would probably add the Central Wales line as well.

Some lines it has to be said were hopelessly un-economic and were already in trouble before Beeching, an example which springs to mind being the Bluebell line. BR wanted to close that as early as the mid 50's.

Mind you without the closures where would the preservation industry be?

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 8 Oct 2008, 18:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dr Beeching had to collect data on usage, because BR management of the time was unable to supply reliable information on a national basis. This is what it is important to understand: the people responsible for managing the railway did not have the data available.

This is something we in our "modern" society fail to understand. In the days of the report there was no computerised ticketing or databases. Everything was recorded by hand, in large ledgers, and they are big - I have a couple. The only way that the information on loadings could have been collated was to employ an army of clerks and round up every single piece of paper from the whole system.

I suspect that had this been attempted the clerks would be on their third generation and still trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

Regards

1 - 2 of 2 Posts