Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several questions

1) Where is the best place to aquire such items, and are they all the same design? I know the slot itself will be 'standard', but are there differing mounting styles?

2) I want to fit NEM pockets to a range of rolling stock, mainly Hornby stuff where I will cut off the moulded tension lock couplings. I have a specific question regarding the Latest Hornby MK3 coach couplings. The tension lock can be unclipped and pulled out but it isn't a NEM pocket and won't accept NEM compatible couplings. What sort of socket is this and what other coupling will fit in it?

Many thanks Paul

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (paul_d @ 5 Mar 2007, 13:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Several questions

1) Where is the best place to aquire such items, and are they all the same design? I know the slot itself will be 'standard', but are there differing mounting styles?

2) I want to fit NEM pockets to a range of rolling stock, mainly Hornby stuff where I will cut off the moulded tension lock couplings. I have a specific question regarding the Latest Hornby MK3 coach couplings. The tension lock can be unclipped and pulled out but it isn't a NEM pocket and won't accept NEM compatible couplings. What sort of socket is this and what other coupling will fit in it?

Many thanks Paul

Both Roco and Fleischmann make close coupling conversion kits for NEM pockets, I have samples of both to trial on my own fleet of coaches. They are both different, but I think the Fleischmann one has the smaller footprint.

Sorry I Can't help on the other question.

Regards

John

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (paul_d @ 5 Mar 2007, 08:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Several questions

Many thanks Paul

As mentioned, Roco makes two forms of NEM close coupling mechanism. Unfortunately, I believe that they are not current production items, but you may be able to get them. If you want to fit the NEM pockets at the standard height, you will find that you can't use the wider ones on bogie stock (fouls the wheels) and you can only use the narrower one on bogie stock if you have very shallow curves (36" is too tight) and then only with modification. I have had some success using the narrower version on longer-wheelbase 4-wheel stock.

The Fleischmann close-coupling mechanism doesn't give you an NEM-362 pocket, it gives you a NEM-363 standard mounting slot that you can use Roco or Fleischmann coupling heads in. I have used these extensively on Mk2 and Mk3 stock, as well as some other bogie stock with long overhangs (LMS 12-wheel diner, for instance). I use Roco autocouplers or Fleischmann Profi couplers within rakes, so this works for me - if you want to use some other form ofcoupling you are out of luck. You will find problems fitting this mechanism on short overhang bogie stock without some serious hacking of the stock to avoid the wheels fouling the mechanism - don't hack the mechanism, you need all of it. They are expensive and a bit fragile (the springs disengage).

There is also a mechanism by Gutzold (which I haven't played with) that gives you an NEM-362 pocket on a small footprint close-coupling mechanism (looks like a similar size to the Fleischmann item).

For some stock, Keen close coupling mechanisms can be used. They provide an open-bottom pocket that matches NEM-362 dimensions. You have to use some form of positive attachment for the coupling of choice, but they do work.

You can also get the pockets in replacement packs of Bachmann couplings. These are the triangular-tail version as seen on Bachmann wagons, so some ingenuity is required to attach them to other stock.

The pockets on the Mk3 coaches are the standard Airfix-style coupling pocket seen on a lot of Hornby stock, as well as Dapol and Airfix stock. Various forms of tension-lock coupling will clip in, and a few other clip-type couplers can be persuaded to stay in. Since these are at approximately the correct height, NEM couplers can, with some ingenuity, be fitted to these boxes. In simple terms, drill between the tines of the NEM coupler to make a clip. If you get more sophisticated, fabricate a retaining clip to prevent it from popping off the post (I used some brass strip in a 'C' shape) and add some packing to keep the coupling centred.

Adrian

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the replies, and the very comprehensive one Adrian

Adrian, you say that the pockets are included when you buy Bachmanns coupling packs, but can you buy them on there own, and is this triangular tail type the only type you can get? I have searched high and low on the internet but to no avail.

I now know what you mean about being able to modify the shanks on a NEM coupling to fit the MK3 coach 'airfix' socket. I was thinking of something similar.

Lot of useful info there, thanks a lot. More info would still be appreciated by other members as well, thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (paul_d @ 5 Mar 2007, 11:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Adrian, you say that the pockets are included when you buy Bachmanns coupling packs, but can you buy them on there own, and is this triangular tail type the only type you can get? I have searched high and low on the internet but to no avail.

To the best of my knowledge, you can only get them in the coupling packs, and only the triangular tail type. Bachmann's early promos for their NEM EZ-mate coupler showed both the coupler and a different style pocket (with finger springs, IIRC), but those pockets don't come with the couplers, so I don't know if they ever existed except as the figment of someone's imagination.

Adrian

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Adrian @ 5 Mar 2007, 15:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As mentioned, Roco makes two forms of NEM close coupling mechanism. Unfortunately, I believe that they are not current production items.
Adrian

The Roco mechanism comes in 2 types - 1 for long (bogie) vehicles & 1 for short vehicles. They are currently available - send me a private message & I'll tell you where to get them from.

Adrian is quite correct about the Fleischamnn conversions - they only take the Fleischmann Profi couplings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 5 Mar 2007, 11:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Adrian is quite correct about the Fleischamnn conversions - they only take the Fleischmann Profi couplings.

They can also take a Roco autocoupler head, available as part of their height-adjustable NEM coupler.

Adrian

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Ravenser @ 5 Mar 2007, 12:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe Hornby can now supply a packet of Roco-type couplings, and I think these are designed to plug into an NEM pocket

They are compatible with, but longer than, the Roco item. They are actually useful for Bachmann Mk1s.

Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts