Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can anyome help me ?
I want a fairly small but robust compressor for use indoors, when using an airbrush, ideally a very quite and reasonably cheap one, preferably with a water trap already fitted.
On another well known forum/discussion group recently somebody recommended the
Clarke
'Wiz' Mini Air Compressor
obtaimable from Machine Mart
for £64.57 inc vat
Can anyone confirm that this is an ideal compressor for airbrush work?
Or maybe offer alternatives.?
And can somebody recommend a suitable airbrush to accompany the compressor again I am looking for value for money as I am on a limited budget?.
thank you in advance for any help anyone can offer.

·
Registered
461 Posts
the best Compressor and airbrush set that I have seen is on EPOX add in Model Rail and BRM, Railway Modeler it £175 but you get a good compressor and a great airbrush and extra pipeing all in I have one which I have used and it works great.

Peter Harvey

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I'm using an Aztec double action airbrush, after years of battling with a Badger. Compressors Aztec Air Brush. I now normally use Tamaya Acrylic Paint. Tamaya Acrylic Paint. cleaning the brush after use is much easier, I normally use Windowlene. The results are impressive. When spraying acrylic paint use acrylic thinners for best results. A compressor is essential, here it pays to shop around, as you can pick up a bargins on specials.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi, I have one of the commessors from machine mart, its not silent but is mounted on rubber pads so is not very noisy, it cost £99 on special offer a few years ago, very pleased with it, my son has justused it to spray the bonnet of his 54 year old beetle using a full size spray gun that came as an extra. I us a badger and have no problems, cleaning out with white spirit or celulose thiners. I made an adapter to fit the standard size bsf thread on the compressor and the small thread on the airbrush lead.

Clarke who make the compressor also make an airbrush that I have been told is very good, similar to the badger to look at but with a top cup which I think is better than the under slung one that comes with some of the badger sets, do not use the bottles they give very poor spray results as I think the hole in the lid gets blocked to easily stopping the paint flowing or giving 'bloches' of paint.

If you realy want a silent one try 'squires' they have one but it works out at over £200 with an air brush as well, I think its £165 but my catologue is three years old now so may have gone up.

regards

mike g

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Hi,

My brother and I have used several different airbrushes over the years, aztec, revel, humbrel and badger and a few I cant remember!

We have now settled on the badger 200 as it is dismantleable and easier to clean and you can replace the rubber seals as needed.

Until recently we never bothered with a compresor or the correct propelant, we used camping gaz tins from wilko's, they have the same gas inside and are much cheaper at about £2 a can compared to £5 or £6 for the real thing, this has one very big draw back, it smells and you need a very well ventilated area or do it outside weather permittimg of course! This then limits you to when you can spray, either good weather or 'she who hold the purse string' is out, so a compressor was needed.

Like you, money is not free flowing and I would rather spend it on a new loco, and thats were my brother came in, he 'aquired' from someone an old compressor from a pub that used it for the lager pressure system for around £20, bargin, it has a water trap built in so is ideal for modelling, with a few miles of hose to adapt i out pipe to fit the brush and its perfect, it works so well that now he has 'aquired' another one for me, all I need is the water trap and some hose, this new one even has two outlets so we can both spray at the sametime.

So if you know anyone who works for a brewery in the bar fitters department, give them a call and ask if they are refitting a bar at some stange, bung them 20 quid and you could get a cheap compressor!!

Happy Modelling

Brian
aka Bro Sewell

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE Until recently we never bothered with a compresor or the correct propelant, we used camping gaz tins from wilko's, they have the same gas inside and are much cheaper at about £2 a can compared to £5 or £6 for the real thing, this has one very big draw back, it smells and you need a very well ventilated area or do it outside weather permittimg of course!
Hi Brian like the name BTW

Are you kidding or am I reading the text wrong??
You seem to be suggesting that Camping Gaz is ok as a propellant?
Camping Gas is either Propane or Butane gas or a mixture of both while airbrush propellant (The real thing) is compressed air. Unless I'm getting this all wrong what you're suggesting is that a highly flammable gas is ok to use?

Many of these LPGs are heaver than air and sink to the floor where the cloud of LPG can last for many minutes or even hours in the right environment.
Seems to me that it's like saying its ok use petrol to start a BBQ rather than the special fluids!
I wouldn't recommend anyone to start using any forms of LPG for airbrushing.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Brian & Dennis are right, what you need for spraying is a "neutral" or "inert" gas ( that's one that will not catch fire or explode ). There is no substitute for compressed air, no matter how cheap it is.

Bro sewell is lucky to still be in one piece !! The American Indians used to believe that the great spirit in the sky protected the stupid. Now I'm starting to believe them!!!

Rather than camping gas, why not use balloon gas ? It's no cheaper, not as easily controlled and only comes in big, heavy containers, but at least you'll have a squeaky voice as you utter your last words on this planet!!!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hi everybody, Bro Sewell is my brother so I have to take up his defence in his absence.
As he stated we used a number of airbrushes over the years but have always used the propellant can. The large amount of money needed to buy a compressor was never around at the time we were spraying and when we weren't spraying the money went on other things, this is when we took a look at the ingredients of the said propellants, they contain Propane and Butane have the usual aerosol warning on the side about not spraying them on naked flames and incandescent materials. One day whilst in Wilkos getting some white spirit we checked out the ingredients on the camping gas cans, now I should make it clear here hat these cans are the same size and shape as the airbrush propellant cans and are normally used for small single burner camping stoves or blow torches used for things like soldiering whilst doing some plumbing, the ingredients list is the same as that for the airbrush propellant with the only difference being the camping gas has an additive to make it smell so you can detect a gas leak and airbrush propellant does not because by it's intended purpose you are discharging it without burning it.
While I'm here I'd like to ask what people think their aerosols are propelled with, it sure ain't fresh air.
Arethusa

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE While I'm here I'd like to ask what people think their aerosols are propelled with, it sure ain't fresh air.
Not Butane or Propane or Camping Gaz thats for sure!!!

As far as I'm aware commercial available propellant for airbrushing is nothing more that compresses air!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use any type of LPG as a propellant for anything else other than what its designed for. If your short of cash obtain an old (or new) car tyre and take it to the local garage and inflate it from their air line and use that as a propellant.
At least compressed air it wont catch fire

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Brian @ 18 Aug 2006, 19:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not Butane or Propane or Camping Gaz thats for sure!!!

As far as I'm aware commercial available propellant for airbrushing is nothing more that compresses air!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use any type of LPG as a propellant for anything else other than what its designed for. If your short of cash obtain an old (or new) car tyre and take it to the local garage and inflate it from their air line and use that as a propellant.
At least compressed air it wont catch fire

Excellent idea Brian - surprised that no-ones come up with that before - come to think of it did'nt Humbrol market a tyre adaptor thingy some time ago ? (age showing.)

Slightly off-topic I seem to remember early VW Beetles using the air pressure from the spare wheel to poer the screen washer jets. (Age showing again.0

best regards
Brian
(another one in Kent - within sight of the Hornby "factory).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.