Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE Until recently we never bothered with a compresor or the correct propelant, we used camping gaz tins from wilko's, they have the same gas inside and are much cheaper at about £2 a can compared to £5 or £6 for the real thing, this has one very big draw back, it smells and you need a very well ventilated area or do it outside weather permittimg of course!
Hi Brian like the name BTW

Are you kidding or am I reading the text wrong??
You seem to be suggesting that Camping Gaz is ok as a propellant?
Camping Gas is either Propane or Butane gas or a mixture of both while airbrush propellant (The real thing) is compressed air. Unless I'm getting this all wrong what you're suggesting is that a highly flammable gas is ok to use?

Many of these LPGs are heaver than air and sink to the floor where the cloud of LPG can last for many minutes or even hours in the right environment.
Seems to me that it's like saying its ok use petrol to start a BBQ rather than the special fluids!
I wouldn't recommend anyone to start using any forms of LPG for airbrushing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE While I'm here I'd like to ask what people think their aerosols are propelled with, it sure ain't fresh air.
Not Butane or Propane or Camping Gaz thats for sure!!!

As far as I'm aware commercial available propellant for airbrushing is nothing more that compresses air!

I wouldn't recommend anyone to use any type of LPG as a propellant for anything else other than what its designed for. If your short of cash obtain an old (or new) car tyre and take it to the local garage and inflate it from their air line and use that as a propellant.
At least compressed air it wont catch fire

1 - 2 of 2 Posts