Model Railway Forum banner

Airfix 14xx

8K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeorge 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am planning on buying an Airfix 14xx and detailing it. (Adding a Hornby Chassis, Bachmann 8750 cab...)

Does anyone have any pictures of preserved 14xx's or even of a Hornby model so I can see if there is any space in the "cab"

Thanks

Jeorge, who has just had a Polio Jab..

#4 ·
QUOTE (Jeorge @ 12 Jan 2007, 18:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am planning on buying an Airfix 14xx and detailing it. (Adding a Hornby Chassis, Bachmann 8750 cab...)

Erm,..May I ask,why do you want to put a Bachmann 8750 cab on it?,-there's nothing wrong with the original,as far as I'm aware,and,if you're intending to replace the chassis with a Hornby one,-then you'd be better off just buying a Hornby one in the first place,-surely?

#5 ·
Cab as in the part with the regulator details and what-not

I didnt want to buy a Hornby one as it was BR and had a numberplate on the smokebox door (I'm not able to remove that neatly)

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Jeorge @ 13 Jan 2007, 14:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cab as in the part with the regulator details and what-not

I didnt want to buy a Hornby one as it was BR and had a numberplate on the smokebox door (I'm not able to remove that neatly)

If you are going to detail the loco then surely you will be replacing the smokebox door anyway which is totaly wrong on the Airfix, Dapol and Hornby versions.
Mainly trains do a detailing kit with all the bits you need.
Regards
Frank

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (Jeorge @ 13 Jan 2007, 14:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cab as in the part with the regulator details and what-not

Ahhh,..you mean the backhead ...,I'm afraid,-if you're using either the Hornby or the Airfix ready-to-run chassis then you'll have no room for the backhead as both of these chassis have motors that intrude into this area,so,to keep the cab clear of motor,you'd have to mount the body on a kit chassis,as available from the likes of Perseverance or Highlevel,see [URL=]<a href="http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.highlevelkits.co.uk </a>,coupled with the detailing kit available from Mainly Trains,which as Dukedog so rightly points out, includes the correct smokebox door,the original fitment of which is the 'Achilles heel' of what are basically very accurate body mouldings....

#9 ·
I've got the Dapol 14XX and agree, the smokebox door looks horrible! Has anyone converted the smokebox door to the mainly trains one, and how hard is it? I'm used to building plastic kits etc but haven't dared convert a loco before.

Also, is the same smokebox door suitable for the airfix/dapol city of truro kit? I think the front end has the same problem - seems to me it does anyway

#10 ·
For photos etc just type Great Western 14xx into Google- that'll find you plenty of data

Regards

John

#13 ·
Upload them to an image sharing website

www.maj.com (I use this one)

Get the full URL of the Image (ends with JPG, GIF or something similar)

when making a post Click the Icon with an arrow pointing to the mountains on yellow.

#15 ·
Thanks
! Is that an Airfix Loco or a Dapol one?

I heard that the Airfix are a little on the flimsy side. Is this so?

#16 ·
The body was obtained second hand as far as I am aware the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby bodies are all the same.

Anyway there are plenty of things I have added such as new handrails and buffers from Alan Gibson, there is still plenty more to do before a repaint in to BR black, since the photos were taken I have reduced the thickness of the front spashers although this will only be possible if you model in P4.

The HighLevel Chassis kit really makes the model It is fully compestated and has full dummy inside valve gear and slidebars etc, and the way the motor and gearbox is designed leaves the cab free to add as much detail as needed.

Here is another photo of the chassis showing the inside valve gear betwwen the frames.

#19 ·
I really like that Chassis, Shame I dont think I would be up to assembling one. The valve gear representaion really caught my eye, I might consider replacing the Smokebox door with the more prototypical one (Door Almost flush with the end of the smokebox? Wt...) One thing I wasnt too happy with on the Airfix version is the can motor can be seen within the cab (Why wanted to replace Chassis with A Hornby one) . I could probably place a driver figure in there to hide the motor.

#21 ·
The smoke box door is from the Mainly Trains detail pack, its makes a huge improvement to the body I have modified mine again since the photos to resemble the recessed ring that the door fits into.

The Chassis although complex is the best etched kit I have built as everything fits where it should, and everything ran smoothy the first time I put power to the motor. I am still waiting for the cast sandboxes and rear springs from High Level, once that has been done I will paint and fishish the model off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.