Model Railway Forum banner

Airfix 14xx

8K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeorge 
The body was obtained second hand as far as I am aware the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby bodies are all the same.

Anyway there are plenty of things I have added such as new handrails and buffers from Alan Gibson, there is still plenty more to do before a repaint in to BR black, since the photos were taken I have reduced the thickness of the front spashers although this will only be possible if you model in P4.

The HighLevel Chassis kit really makes the model It is fully compestated and has full dummy inside valve gear and slidebars etc, and the way the motor and gearbox is designed leaves the cab free to add as much detail as needed.

Here is another photo of the chassis showing the inside valve gear betwwen the frames.

The smoke box door is from the Mainly Trains detail pack, its makes a huge improvement to the body I have modified mine again since the photos to resemble the recessed ring that the door fits into.

The Chassis although complex is the best etched kit I have built as everything fits where it should, and everything ran smoothy the first time I put power to the motor. I am still waiting for the cast sandboxes and rear springs from High Level, once that has been done I will paint and fishish the model off.

Here are a couple of pictures of my P4 Layout Saffron Street, It can be seen at the following shows this year,

Norwich, Derby and Blackburn, and in 2008 Kidderminster and Warley with its final outing at Railex Aylesbury in 2009,

If anybody is interested I will post some more of my photos.

David

Thanks for the nice comment on the layout, Saffron Street was started fifteen years ago a friend and I , since then many members of the Risborough District MRC have had input, and really the layout is now housed in and has become a club layout. We are currently planning and will start constructionon a brand new layout in the next few months. Anyway here is another photo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.