Model Railway Forum banner

Airfix 14xx

8K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeorge 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am planning on buying an Airfix 14xx and detailing it. (Adding a Hornby Chassis, Bachmann 8750 cab...)

Does anyone have any pictures of preserved 14xx's or even of a Hornby model so I can see if there is any space in the "cab"

Thanks

Jeorge, who has just had a Polio Jab..

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Cab as in the part with the regulator details and what-not

I didnt want to buy a Hornby one as it was BR and had a numberplate on the smokebox door (I'm not able to remove that neatly)

Discussion starter · #13 ·
Upload them to an image sharing website

www.maj.com (I use this one)

Get the full URL of the Image (ends with JPG, GIF or something similar)

when making a post Click the Icon with an arrow pointing to the mountains on yellow.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Thanks
! Is that an Airfix Loco or a Dapol one?

I heard that the Airfix are a little on the flimsy side. Is this so?

Discussion starter · #19 ·
I really like that Chassis, Shame I dont think I would be up to assembling one. The valve gear representaion really caught my eye, I might consider replacing the Smokebox door with the more prototypical one (Door Almost flush with the end of the smokebox? Wt...) One thing I wasnt too happy with on the Airfix version is the can motor can be seen within the cab (Why wanted to replace Chassis with A Hornby one) . I could probably place a driver figure in there to hide the motor.

I decided to buy a Dapol version (D19) instead. It is in VERY nice condition. I'm not sure. but i think its about 12 years old. The only thing that was wrong with it was the Traction tires were perished. And when I put it on my track some strange running ensued - Violent waddling and then small peices of rubber and finally, I found a tire on the side of my (STILL FLOORBASED) Layout. I ended up taking the other tire off. It now runs with its back down about 2mm which looks quite funny
. Im looking for some Hornby tires now. Does anyone know how to get the con rods off the the loco without destroying them or the wheels?

My 14xx Vs. My dads.

I was surprised to see the chassis was in VERY good condition.

- Jeorge

Discussion starter · #32 ·
QUOTE (DS239 @ 26 Jan 2007, 18:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>*Oh,and it's tyres,not tires

Dare i say, Americanism?

Thanks a load for the help. My dad even Suggested we go to Waltons Of Altringham to get some Fleishmann tyres (
) as he needs some too.

What scares me: Scaled down, His N gauge loco has more pulling power than my 14xx without tyres.

I've just spent the last two hours putting the tyres on (It was a complete stripdown Job, Overhall if you want
)
. The word "problematic" springs to mind after several attempts at putting the loco together. It kept shorting accross somewhere. I dont know how i fixed it. But I think it was something to do with the spring on the rear wheelset. Anyway it runs nicely now with NO waddle whatsoever.
I cannot wait to get an autocoach and a Milktanker.

Also, Does anyone here know if any 14xx were Shedded at 84G (Shrewsbury) as it would be nice to know if any trundled along the Minsterley branch at any point.

- Jeorge, Who is currently very happy.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Ah thats great, Thanks very much!

Do you have any photos of your layout - i would be quite interested in seeing it.

Thanks,

Jeorge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.