Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Dogsbody
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I came back to the UK and made quite a few train trips (all in the 'south') using quite a few different train types and operators.

Who the heck decided that train travellers wanted to sit in seats similar to those in aeroplanes, in some cases with less legroom, and in all cases with a lot less 'in seat' entertainment ?

Back in the good old days (this is where the younguns can groan) trains were comfortable. Now they are as bad as aeroplanes, the only difference is time and cost.

When you combine this with having to sit in a seat decided by a computer (pre-booking on line) which doesn't let you see out of the window without getting a pain in the neck (and the seat - there's little or no padding it seems to me) you might as well choose to go by bus.

OK, that's my moan over but I would be interested to hear what other travellers think, including all of the commuters.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
All of this is true but its still one of my favourite ways to travel,when driving you've got to look straight ahead but on the train you can have a coffee and just stare out into the countryside.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
The reason that trains are getting more like aircraft and railway stations more like airports is for the same reason that aircraft have more seats in them - the more passengers they can carry per unit of transport the more income the company operating the transport gets. And of course we are now 'customers' and not passengers, which I think tends to adversely affect the way that private railway operators view the travelling public (although BR started that trend, I recall.)

Being retired, I fortunately do not have to make daily trips by train or plane. Those few journeys I do make by train I do have to suffer the closer seating - on the other hand the trains are significantly faster, more frequent and smoother running, so I don't suffer the cramped seating for so long!

The greatest criticism I have of rolling stock made in the last two decades is that the seating almost inevitably doesn't match the window pillars, often making looking out of the window that much more difficult!

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Cant say Ive ever noticed. I travel from Dover to London regulary and have always managed to bag a window seat near the doors in the direction of travel. But then I dont live in a busy town and usually travel outside of commuter hours.
I much prefer the new stock to the old slam door stuff we had untill recently!
Steve

·
Registered
675 Posts
Airline seats on Mk4 stock are usually all right, although it is annoying when they don't match up with windows; some have more legroom than others - seats at the end of the coach often have more legroom. It's comfortable for the 5 hour trip to London. You get what you pay for, I guess; I've managed to get a £10 return Edinburgh to London (yes, £5 each way) which includes £1 off a purchase at the buffet, so don't really care where I'm sitting, as long as it's not the toilet. That's a special one year of NXEC anniversary offer.

On the other hand, the 2 hour trip to Aberdeen on 158s is awful. No leg room and hard seats. Same on the 170s to Glasgow, but as that takes 50 mins it's not too bad.

The old Bulleid 4 Subs had superb deep and springy seats, likewise the 4 Cigs. Comfy for bouncing over the points southbound at Balham.

mal

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I find I can use a large laptop in a face-to-back seat on a Mk3, Mk4, Meridian or at a pinch 158. But not on a Voyager nor on a plane unless the seat next to me is empty. When I have work to do I try to choose my trains accordingly. When the train looks like being full I'll probably grab a face-to-back in preference to fighting with the person opposite for possession of the table.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 1 Feb 2009, 08:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I much prefer the new stock to the old slam door stuff we had untill recently!

Heretic!

Actually the aircon does make 'em better, but give me a 4CEP any day, with them you could window hang and take photos on the move!

Regards

·
Registered
771 Posts
If we're talking about 'airline seats' as in seats inside airliners:

Then I recommend the Economy Class seats in the A380 like this one. extra wide, 34" legroom and the best bonus of all is that when the selfish clown in front tries to recline fully with their seat back in your face, it won't work - for the seat base moves forward as you recline. When it comes to feeding times, you will not be served unless you put the seat back to normal.

But if we're talking about 'airline seats' in coaching stock:

These are the Portbrook owned ex-Virgin West Coast Mk3s now working for National Express East Anglia between London Liverpool Street and Norwich and I spend 3 hours of each working day in these. I board the 06:10 at Stowmarket, aim for coach D or E (the quietest and emptiest), grab a window airline seat (more legroom than a table seat), fall asleep and wake up in London at 07:30. Each evening I aim for the 18:00 departure from Liverpool Street, and do the same to Stowmarket.

For the benefit of any MRF members who use these trains - I am the new snorer amongst you!!!!

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts