Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Before the flood on Millbrook Junction I was doing some testing and all was well until I tried running between the two main lines. The crossovers between the two are using live frog points with insulating fishplates between the two. This I thought should not have caused a problem but as soon as I switch the turnout to access the crossover it shorts out. The layout will be running on conventional DC for the time being but i'm wiring it for DCC so that when I go DCC I shouldnt have any problems. Anyone got any suggestions as to why this is shorting out?
The crossover to the branch line on the right of the picture is also livefrog and straight onto the double slip. This also has insulating fishplates and this area runs fine. The rest of the points are insulfrog on the branch line and DMU sidings.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
To be able to help, a diagram showing exactly where you have put any wiring & interconnections is almost a requirement. Hard to advise without that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Sol @ 19 Jul 2008, 12:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>To be able to help, a diagram showing exactly where you have put any wiring & interconnections is almost a requirement. Hard to advise without that.

Thanks, will add one shortly as dont actually have one at the mo.

Mark

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (Rayden500 @ 19 Jul 2008, 20:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks, will add one shortly as dont actually have one at the mo.

Mark

***Here's a start for you if you are using live frog points. I've put a red line where isolating joiners are needed.... there may be more as I don't see where the tracks go in the near or far side of the photo. The rule is both rails at the frog need isolating, and there must be a gap wherever two live frog points face each other (heel to heel)

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 19 Jul 2008, 12:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Here's a start for you if you are using live frog points. I've put a red line where isolating joiners are needed.... there may be more as I don't see where the tracks go in the near or far side of the photo. The rule is both rails at the frog need isolating, and there must be a gap wherever two live frog points face each other (heel to heel)

Richard
DCCconcepts

Thanks Richard,

Will adopt the changes when relaying the track, will let you know how I get on.

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

As requested this is the diagram of Millbrook Junction so far.
. The dark black lines are the live frog points. So far these are the only ones on the layout, the rest being insulfrog. The diagram is self explanitary, I hope. lol

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Mark. Insulating fishplates as per Richard's drawing.
As I see it, with power feeds where you have indicated & with electrofrogs, yes, shorts will occur - power is always fed from the tiebar/toe end of points unless you have insulators at the frog rails.

Power feeds - left hand side , remove all except 2 track up ; right hand side, remove middle 2.
new power feeds now across the slip as per Peco instructions;
RHS, 2nd track feed between the 2 points that have the toes/tiebars back to back;
3rd track feed at the baseboard joins middle - RHS.
hope that is clear

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Sol @ 19 Jul 2008, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mark. Insulating fishplates as per Richard's drawing.
As I see it, with power feeds where you have indicated & with electrofrogs, yes, shorts will occur - power is always fed from the tiebar/toe end of points unless you have insulators at the frog rails.

Power feeds - left hand side , remove all except 2 track up ; right hand side, remove middle 2.
new power feeds now across the slip as per Peco instructions;
RHS, 2nd track feed between the 2 points that have the toes/tiebars back to back;
3rd track feed at the baseboard joins middle - RHS.
hope that is clear

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the tip, I think I get the idea. Brain is a bit slow today. Will implement the new feeds etc when relaying the track. Will see how I get on.

Cheers

Mark

1 - 8 of 8 Posts