Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our local club layout is an HO layout set in the states and I now model Queensland in HOn3.5, i find myself without anything to run at the club. To rectify this I have recently palced on layby an Atlas GP40 in Amtrak livery. The question now is, what would be an appropriate mix of coaches to run behind it? Sleepers, sitters, service coaches, baggage etc? and I guess what type, those hi level designs or others?

I have tried googling this, but have been unsuccessful so far.
Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
When I last seriously travelled on Amtrak in 1990 GP40s were pretty much universal away from the electrified section between New York and Washington. I believe the Genesis locos have since become widespread. So I'm afraid my comments are nearly 20 years out of date but may still have some relevance to the "heyday" of the GP40s.

East of Chicago and New Orleans most day trains were formed of Amfleet stock, with overnight services using single-deck heritage stock often with a dome car. Long-distance trains west of Chicago used double-deck Superliners. There were some other single-deck coaches used on shorter-distance trains in the west though I don't recall the manufacturer.

Overnight trains were turned at either end of their journey. Usually the seating was at the front with the sleepers behind, although there were exceptions for trains splitting/joining en route. Many trains had vans of various types immediately behind the locos.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for that Edwin. I may try for a day train as I like the look of those Amfleet coaches.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts