Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 920 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
at the moment i have my usual mixture of stock!

3 test etches for the 3 types of maunsell TPO's being made up. for the first time i am going to try and represent the panelling on the sides. to my knowlage this has never been done.

5 Ratio GWR 4 wheelers nearly done. i have to do the interiors and send it off to have the transfers done (i dont do transfers!)

4 LMS arc roof bogie coaches they are just in their black undercoat which dosent show up very clearly.

And an LNER quad art

I hope the person who called me a "Trainset player" on the other thread is taking notes!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
he he!! i keep meaning to ballast it and do a propper job of the station and put a small engine shed at the other end with a nice fence along the front.
but i never seem to get around to it!

But my railing has a 100% sucess rate!

peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the quad art roofs on perminantly and all the vents on friday and saturday morning.

I etch primed it on saturday and tried to spray the teak basecoat last night but the paint had gone bad and its got to wait for some new stuff.

Here is a couple of pics of the fionished shells in primer. of it in primer.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a picture of 2 coaches i partially built.
I didnt do the roofs and when i got them they were 5 sided boxes with super glue all over the place. the chassis were not straight and the underframe detail was non existant.

they are slaters 4mm kits in plastic, lost wax brass and etched brass and whitemetal.

all i did was put them together and rescue them. i didnt paint or transfer or weather them.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I am waiting for paint to finish the quad so I did some work on my corrie last night. i have not touched this model in almost a year so it was good to get it out and see what needed doing to finish it.

It was one of my first paint jobs with an airbrush so the paint work is not great. i painted the floors green. and cut the seats the right length and glued them together. i have not installed them yet as they still need to be painted.
I put the partitions in last night and they still need painting in grey.
My humbrol paints are getting a bit thin on the ground. come on hornby!! we are getting desperate!!

I am building these for myself so i want to put people in them. i will get some unpainted presier people when i see them.

i noticed that they are riding too low on the bogies. so i will have to sort that out at some point.

Now if only i could remember what i did with the beaver tail??!! i thought i put it with the others but i cant find it!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
No. the ones you saw running on my freinds layout were his own west riding set built from the same kits. (the loco was the only bit that was mine.) i have been doing so much other work for other people that my own set just got put on a back burner.

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK i found the beaver tail. i was also sent 2 pictures of a coach i built that has just come back from the painters. its another slaters.
this time a GWR toplight.
The chassis truss was a right pig and i still dont think it looks quite right but it was the best i could do.

Compartment side

Corridor side

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Over the last few days i have been waiting for the paint to do the teak coaches and the TPO's so i have done some work on my M1

I have done the loco brake gear and the pickups. it now runs under its own power without me running along behind with pieces of wire!

The tender is shorting because i didnt file the axels down far enough. i will have to sort that at some point.

The actual body is just about ready for spraying. i want to get some of the new markits sprung buffers rather than use the cast ones that come with the kit.

Excuse the bad lighting it was very late last night and i couldnt be bothered to mess about with the lighting.

I am going to try the new threaded crankpins on the centre axel. i got them at the weekend and they need the hole in the coupling rods opening out slightly. thats the next task as well as painting the chassis.
I am not really happy witht he finecast whitemetal front bogie and i think i will swap it for the comet version.

Peter

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Nice job Pedro. I'm really going to have to to get one now. I guess I'll just pretend it lasted till BR days

oh and its a W1, an M-1 was a massive coal burning steam turbine electric made by Baldwin for the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway in 1948. Just a little trivia.

Ozzie21

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 27 Feb 2007, 13:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought the M1 was a road that went up north somewhere?
Peter

THere are of course those who would say it's a road that goes down south somewhere!!

Regards

John

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
That would be the New England highway here, F3 Sydney to Newcastle, NewEngland Highway to the Queensland border have your pasports ready
The M1 is a ring road in Sydney.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 28 Feb 2007, 00:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought the M1 was a road that went up north somewhere?
Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well i have had a couple of days working on the quad art.

I got the paint and sprayed the undercoat.

and then got stuck into the teaking. these pictures really dont do it justice. it looks far better in real life.

Now i have to do the other side and the ends!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Ok. i have to do some more tonight so i will try and take some better shots showing the process but basically its a mixture of golden teak and teak basecoat (both from phoenix) painted with a DECENT brush (a windsor and newton artisan flat number 2 about £6)

The brush has very stiff bristles and helps to get the grain effect.

Mixing the colours is done very much by eye and on an old fasioned colour palett. if it starts to go a bit dark then mix in a little more basecoat and visa versa.

its not easy.
it took me about 6 total mess ups before i felt confident to do it on a decent kit. i have a harrow models T stock driving motor that i am too ashamed to show anyone!

I will take you some better pics.

Peter

1 - 20 of 920 Posts