Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the Hawksworth Pacific was a very self contained project I thought I'd let that one be and start a new one for the general projects that are ongoing.

I'll start with the station building for my layout, Broughton and Marwood.

I've had the basic shell for this building built for quite some time but as is not unusual for me I've been a bit sidetracked.
What was I thinking building yet another locomotive when the layout is in such dissaray

Anyhow here's how the building looked this morning,

Road side of the station

Platform side

And this is how it looks tonight after some more colours were drybrushed on and I made a start on the windows

I've called it a day for today as it's running night at the club and I get to show off Bristol Cathederal

Last day off before I return to work tomorrow so I hope to get a bit more done on the station building.

Andii

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Those sash windows look good Andii, how did you make them?

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (dwb @ 1 Dec 2008, 21:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Those sash windows look good Andii, how did you make them?

David

With a lot of patience

Seriously though, they're quite easy and good if you're not too good at getting your holes cut the same size as each window is made in the hole.
These ones are the simplest I've done as they're made using only two sizes of plastic stripping.
First I lined the outside of the hole with 0.4mm x 2mm plastic strip. Then aligned to the inside edge I lined the three sides of the lower half with 1mm x 1mm. Then I lined the three sides of the top with the same this time aligned with the outside, then I add the cross member at the half height point. Glazing is then stuck to the rear. Job done. I'll try to remember to take some pitures of the process tomorrow and post them to make this a bit clearer.
I use Evergreen stripping where I can because of the hugh variety of cross sections they do, about the only thing you can't get from them is half round channel in any size
so gutters have to come from elsewhere.

Andii

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
QUOTE I'll try to remember to take some pitures of the process tomorrow and post them to make this a bit clearer.

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Andii
Your station is looking very good, Im afraid all i can do is make the cardboard ones from Metcalfe or Superquick

What will you use for the roof ?.
It was good to meet you by the way at Warley.

Kind regards
Paul

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Guys

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 2 Dec 2008, 06:34) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks nice Andii. Is it based on a specific building?
It's a complete work of fiction Neil, made up as I go along. That's why I've had to modify it slightly as will be seen in todays pictures

QUOTE (dwb @ 2 Dec 2008, 18:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks.

David

Sorry for the delay David, I'm back at work again and the fiddly nature of window building means I've got to be in the mood for it and I just haven't been until today. Anyway here's some pictures of the process.

A hole

Lined around the four sides with 0.4mm x 2mm plastic strip

1mm x 1mm across the bottom and halfway up each side, aligned flush with the inside edge of the 0.4mm x 2mm

1mm x1mm across the top and halfway down each side, aligned with the outside edge of the 0.4mm x 1mm

Last of all for the frame, a cross member of 1mm x 1mm

Having mastered simple windows you can experiment with other sizes of stripping and make fancier widows

Glazing will be cut and fitted at a later date just before the roof is fitted.

Paul, good to meet you too at the show.
What I normaly do for the roof is clad a sheet of 40thou with embossed plasticard but this time I'm thinking of cutting rows of tiles out of 10thou and glueing them over lapping. Watch this space.

A last shot with the canopy test fitted.

Andii

·
Administrator
9,843 Posts
Excellent

Thanks for taking the trouble to take the photos and post them

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back again

The station building now has all it's windows fitted, I've also fitted the doors. Now I need a bit of advice please.
Should I leave the window frames white as though they've been painted or should I paint them to represent wood like I have with the doors. The station seems to have moved into Great Western teritory if that helps you offer advice.

I'm making it up as I go along and as a result I bought some Wills Station canopy valencing after I'd made the shell. When I made the canopy and offered it up to the building I found that it came too low and anybody over 5'6" was going to hit their head on it so I've had to extend the walls by a couple of courses of stone. Hopefully this won't show when the new part has been treated to match what I've already painted and the canopies are in place.

Thanks for any sugestions you care to offer rgarding my windows.

Andii

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
I would tend to leave the window frames white - I think that they would "lose" something otherwise.

Superb bit of modelling & thanks for showing it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Thats Station building is really looking great Andii. You obviously have plenty of patience and skill my friend.

Kind regards
Paul

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like what you have done with that window. I would say thanks for the Idea, but now I am wanting to redo my station windows, thankfully I have only done 4

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Evening (for me anyway) Guys

Work had been interupting the modelling again but today I was in the mood to do some more to the station building.

I finished the glazing (Thanks for the help with what to do about the window frames
) and I put a platicard roof on.
Then I tiled the roof, first time I've done that.
Here are the results

Still lots to do but I am pleased with how good the roof looks.

Anyway I'm on early tomorrow (05:30) start so I've got to crank up the "Z" generator now, I catch up with you tomorrow.

Regards Andii

1 - 20 of 115 Posts