Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
R3844 BR, Rebuilt Class W1, 4-6-4, 60700 - Era 4
this one comes out at £241.99 for a late version of this much messed about loco, buit there was only the one so at least that limits the financial damage, not sure what this comes with such as smoke and/or sound/dcc - anyway it is on my list so it's a goer. Looks to be dcc ready with an 8 pin socket so nothing much new there and has a 5 pole motor skew wound, so basics are OK.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK so I bought one of these today from Simons trains in Holsworthy a delightfully unspoiled town with real shops etc. anyway I coughed £217.79 for the loco so another one off the list, anyway not got it home yet so I'll let you know how it goes. and a photo or three.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK follow up, got it home and found it needs an 8 pin decoder which sensibly located in the tender, however I have none in my stock box as I usually use a DCC Concepts 8 pin jobbie but none on hand, so go and get one tomorrow then fit this looks easy enough, also could do with some Bachmann 50's loco crew as they have two seated drivers. Instruction sheet is simple and I noted that the flanged wheels for the rear bogie (whatever they called it) are only to be fitted if used as a static exhibit.

Overall looks nice but it also looks like an A4 but a bit longer so do struggle to find a reason for the price but as there is just the one well OK.

·
In depth idiot
8,345 Posts
When the BR late crest version appears it will be time to test what minimum.radius it manages once 'all flanged'. Pretty confident that 36" will be possible.
...Holsworthy a delightfully unspoiled town with real shops etc...
You should have seen it before the old cattle market was redeveloped and the Waitrose went in, (must be getting on 20 years ago - it was before the Bickford Arms at Brandis Corner burned down, because Devon fire brigade had no thatch hooks available locally) five of us went in a tearoom on the corner of one of the Derriton direction roads and the A388, and were charged £1.40 for our five cups of tea or coffee and four toasted teacakes. We then visited the Drapers (pretty much opposite where Simon'sTrains is now, west side of the marketplace) to see if they had any sock garters (my Pa's last two usable pairs nearing the point of unrepairability) and the man went unerringly to the little wooden drawer, and produced four pairs, originally 12/6, but sold to me for a very reasonable £4. Truly it was 'little changed since the 1950s'.

·
Premium Member
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I haven't tried the flanged wheels, pretty sure they would dislike Peco streamlime points curved ones, anyway I could only get locally a Hornby 8 pin decoder so that went in and works fine, the slow speed take off is very good and it only took a dislike to one point that has a double curve and reverse so not so bad, I took some photos but got hijacked by SWMBO that is, so photos to follow.

·
C55
2,632 Posts
Just wonder if it would be OK with the flanged wheels in the position next to the drivers, may be worth an experiment as it should handle that.?
Is the rear bogie not on a pivot? I haven't bothered with the flanged ones, I have, yet [mainly A4s and A2], but I'm pretty certain that at least some of them have a pivot which can be locked for flangeless and looser for flanged.

Actually, you have given me doubts about my memory now, so I'm going to have to go and look, to see.

Julian

·
In depth idiot
8,345 Posts
Is the rear bogie not on a pivot? I haven't bothered with the flanged ones, I have, yet [mainly A4s and A2], but I'm pretty certain that at least some of them have a pivot which can be locked for flangeless and looser for flanged...
No such sophistication on any current RTR OO pacifics, which lag well behind what is possible and demonstrated in HO.

(The very obvious solution is to individually hinge the outside frames at the forward end, with a light spring return; so that a flanged wheel inside frame truck can push out the frame on the inside of the curve. It's not rocket science...)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts