Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** Look in the thread "a layout planning competition with a prize" - I cover my methods there with pictures.

Richard

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've seen a product called "Rusty" advertised over here, looks like a tube with a rotary disk brush on top to ease the painting of rails. Haven't used it myself but may well do in the future.

regards

Clive

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone got any tips for weathering concrete sleepers? Having read Richard Johnsons method I wish I'd used all wooden sleepers as its looks a great but having a mix of both I can't spray the whole track sections.

I'm guessing some washes to darken the sleepers before laying ballast? The rusty rails looks a good idea - could I still use that having used concrete sleepers? I don't want some parts of the track looking too old given that the sleepers are concrete and its a modern image layout.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (eddscott @ 9 Feb 2009, 00:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm guessing some washes to darken the sleepers before laying ballast? The rusty rails looks a good idea - could I still use that having used concrete sleepers? I don't want some parts of the track looking too old given that the sleepers are concrete and its a modern image layout.

Many thanks

Hi Eddscott,

A very thin wash of black accrylic paint works well after ballasting to tone down the sleepers and bright newness of ballast, use it very thinned down and build it up darker in places if you wish, for example around a depot area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts