Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi
Hello all! Spacehopper here! This is my first post so hope nobody minds if I dive straight in with a question!! Can anyone help ID this loco please?
When I got it I assumed it was a Dublo 2-rail, repainted and renumbered but I have been informed from several sources that it isnt. Nor is a Wrenn. The only casting mark the shell has is a very faint 'Type L11' under cab roof. Although L11 is a Dublo number I think the cast mark is fainter than a dublo cast. Nothing on chassis to Id it either. Anyone help?
(Click to see bigger pics)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I'd discounted Wrenn is that it bears no Wrenn markings anywhere - dont all Wrenn products have the name clearly cast in somewhere?
The faint L11 casting led to a suggestion that it was a Chinese copy of a Dublo A4!!

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***No, I too think its a UK built loco. The flaky look to the wheel plating screams early Wrenn to me... they never did make them as well as Hornby Dublo. I see it quite often with older loco's (Its a good bet that the insulating sleeve on the driver axles is either cracked or slightly loose due to shrinkage over time too)

Anyway...
If it was chinese built then both of the magnet field bar letterings would be reversed, for Reft and Light

Richard

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (poliss @ 17 Dec 2008, 22:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like a repainted Hornby Dublo Mallard to me. If all the Wrenn mechanisims were the same as shown on this website http://www.wrennrailways.org.uk/motor.htm then it's not Wrenn. The Hornby Dublo motor is shown here http://tinyurl.com/5rger6
The body looks identical to this Hornby Dublo Sir Nigel Gresley http://tinyurl.com/5tzrzu

***Wrenn never changed the chassis in any of the Dublo Locos as far as I know - I've only ever seen Wrenn Duchess and A4 etc with identical basic designs to the one posted. The give away to me is the yellow sleeving on the wiring - Hornby Dublo always used a composite lacquered woven insulation shield.

The motor/chassis seen in the Wrenn advert was created & originally made by Hornby Dublo and I think originally fitted to the Castle, 8F and some others - it was an excellent chassis/motor design and a very smooth mechanism -shame Triang / Triang-Hornby never learned from it.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help! I'm going for Wrenn then!
Incidentally there is a similar one on ebay that comes with a plastic Hornby tender stating that later Wrenn A4s came with these. Can anyone confirm this is correct?
This loco did come to me with a Hornby tender!

·
Administrator
9,891 Posts
QUOTE smooth as silk but it couldnt pull the skin of a rice pudding. i took it into a shop and they said it needed remagnatizing

Sounds like my Wrenn City of Birmingham. Wrenn collectors should stop reading now!

I cut into the chassis on the far side of the motor to make space for an X04 magnet. Then I created new "arms" to connect this to the original magnet and apply the magnetic field around the armature. This did improve the traction. It was a long time ago and I was young. I had never heard of neo what's it magnets, I'm not sure anyone had back then.

I still have it and ran it a few times before switching to DCC. As a model it just doesn't cut it compared to just about anything else I've got so I shall not be converting it to DCC but I won't part with it for sentimental reasons.

David

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Hi Spacehopper,

The loco in your photo is the Wrenn A4 Sir Nigel Gresley model released by Wrenn between 1979 & 1990.
The body is a direct decedent from the Hornby Dublo 1958 BR Green 60022 Mallard.
L11 is the code under the cab roof, and the H/D model has thick handrails and alloy wheels, both on driving wheels and on pony/bogie trucks. Tender for this loco is Type 3.

K9-70

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep - K9 is right, it's a 'Gresley. I've got one of these. Identical in every respect. Not bad locos these, despite disparaging remarks you may hear about Wrenns. Best thing about them is that their heavy metal bodies tend to keep them firmly planted on the flakiest trackwork.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.