Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there with interest into Japanese model railways, especially steam era?

Thomas

·
Registered
203 Posts
QUOTE (Thomas @ 20 Jul 2008, 14:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone out there with interest into Japanese model railways, especially steam era?

Not steam - that's rather passe and old fashioned - but modern Japanese trains. Fantastic in real life and great models in N
gauge. I've just ordered an O series Shinkansen having recently visited Japan and travelled quite a bit on the rail network.
As well as local services and the series 700 and E2 MAX double deckers I was lucky to ride an O series from Shin-Osaka to
Hiroshima. But it's going to look a bit odd on my British layout

G.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello!

Only just joined but posted a similar question two days ago and do have a small N scale Japanese model railway running mostly dmus/emus/el;ec locos but do have a rather nice Kato Class C 62 4-6-4 which has been re-liveried etc as the engine to pull my Imperial train ! Have had other Japanese Steam locos too so do you want to discuss etc?

Chris

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Interested - yes, absolutely!

If only these models were in HO gauge...

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (Grahame HHC @ 25 Jul 2008, 15:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not steam - that's rather passe and old fashioned - but modern Japanese trains. Fantastic in real life and great models in N
gauge. I've just ordered an O series Shinkansen having recently visited Japan and travelled quite a bit on the rail network.
As well as local services and the series 700 and E2 MAX double deckers I was lucky to ride an O series from Shin-Osaka to
Hiroshima. But it's going to look a bit odd on my British layout

G.

Hi Grahame HHC,

Looks a terrific loco which manufacturer does it ? my layout would look strange with on on
but i would like one converted to DCC if possible

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
"Looks a terrific loco which manufacturer does it ? my layout would look strange with it on ,but i would like one converted to DCC if possible "

Got a Kato one ordered with a decoder Grahame
the lighting set for it will have to wait a while .... i dont know what the good folk of Yorkshire are going to make of it on the layout

I have been looking for a shikansen for a while as they look superb when running, after seeing one on a layout with 16 coaches i knew one was to join my collection sometime

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Still waiting for the shikansen after ordering it found out it needed three decoders fitting not the drop in type so i asked for them to be fitted to it .......
didnt expect that but it will be ready to run in the very near future

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Rang my supplier today of the shinkansen and its in on the bench having its decoders fitted

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
At last the O series Shinkansen arrived today
runs beautifully making a train around five foot long

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a newbie to the forum I have been trawling back thru some older questiosns to see if mine are answered and was v interested to see this about jap steam era for n-gauge. I have always wanted to try and get one or two locos and rolling stock that would be suitable for modelling WWII bridge on the rive kwai, mainly because I have lived in Thailand now for 13yrs plus and every day on my way to work I go past the big makasan train depot which has numerous steam locos standing still. I also have not yet worked out which diesels currently run and the carriages, but will take some snaps and post on the forum for suggestions.

So who makes n-gaue jap steam. have been onto the kato and tomix web but cannot find a good selection. I have planty of modern jap trains and stock but v keen to get something that would be appropriate for WWII era.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 29 Aug 2008, 09:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my layout would look strange with one on

Who cares Nick, I have just started 'collecting' n gauge british diesels but I would love the 'ICE' train, not Japanese I know but ooooh lovely all the same.

Run what you like when you like I say. FAB. Would love to see a video of your Shinkansen that going mate!

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi.

I have been collecting N gauge Japanese steam era models for some years with the hope of finding the time to build a layout. For some years my models appeared on Shin Izu along with other members of that group.

Regarding the enquiry re Japanese steam, here is a breakdown of who makes what or has made them.

4110 0-10-0T Micro Ace
8620 2-6-0 Micro Ace
9600 2-8-0 Micro Ace Kato and Tomix. Kato are about to do a re run.

C10 2-6-4t Micro Ace
C11 2-6-4T Kato Micro Ace
C12 2-6-2T Micro Ace

C50 2-6-0 Kato Micro Ace
C51 4-6-2 Micro Ace
C52 4-6-2 Micro Ace
C53 4-6-2 Micro Ace
C54 4-6-2 Micro Ace
C55 4-6-2 Kato Micro Ace
C56 2-6-0 Micro Ace
C57 4-6-2 Kato Micro Ace and Tomix later in 2009
C58 2-6-2 Kato Micro Ace
C59 4-6-2 Micro Ace C59 164 and one in Imperial Train livery upgraded 2009
C60 4-6-4 Micro Ace
C61 4-6-4 Micro Ace
C62 4-6-4 Kato (New model 2008/9) Micro Ace
C63 2-6-2 Micro Ace Loco never built but frames laid down for first batch cancelled 1955 approx.

D50 2-8-2 Micro Ace
D51 2-8-2 Kato Micro Ace
D52 2-8-2 Micro Ace New production run 2009
D60 2-8-4 Micro Ace Rebuild of D50
D61 2-8-4 Micro Ace rebuild of D51
D62 2-8-4 Micro Ace rebuild of D52

E10 2-10-4T Micro Ace

Also there have been models of the B6 0-6-2T from Kawai which is a bit hit and miss running on Peco track plus 7100 2-6-0 American type loco from Micro Ace as well as a 9800 0-6-6-0 Mallet.

All Japanese models have short production runs, so if it can be ordered or is available from a dealer then buy it or wait for the next production run.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I had missed this thread.

I am very interested in japanese steam but in HO 1:80.
I had never seen any untill a friend bought some along to the club. I now have 5 Japanese loco's and a few coaches.

Here are a couple of pictures.
The first is my streamiler that I am very proud of. I think its a stunning model. Made by Tenshodo and fully sprung! it runs like a dream.

The next is my Adachi D62.
Again it runs like a dream but does have a habit of drawing more current than my puney controller can supply and trips it out on a fairly regular basis!

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
About half an amp once its settled down but it peaks at over an amp. its a very heavy model with an old fasioned open frame motor.

The controller I am using is puney though. more suited for N gauge. its fine for modern stuff with can motors but it cant handle this sort of thing.

Peter

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi Peter

When youi came down to Twickenham Club I should have introduced you to Steve, our newsletter editor - he used to be the membership secretary of the Japanese Railway Society and used to visit Japan regularly on business. He models N but is a great enthusiast of things Japanese.

Regards

Paul

·
Class 60 Guru&#33;
36 Posts
Just discovered this thread and I am a very fond of Japanese trains, I mainly have modern image stock (though my collection is small at present) in N gauge. But the locos I have are:

EH500 - Kato
DF200 - Kato
JR100 Sanyo Shinkansen - Tomix
and a few freight wagons.

I am planning on getting a JR700 Nozomi Shinkansen as a full 16 car set and some Kansai Area rolling stock as I would like to model a section around Osaka on my Layout

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi 60008,

Welcome to the forum

The layout sound good and must be a good size to have the JR700 Nozomi Shinkansen as a full 16 car set running .... look forward to seeing progress on this one

1 - 18 of 18 Posts