Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I don't know any specifics about the particular loco you have, and therefore I am only guessing. I assume the 'thin pipe with a hole' passes through the 'Vertical tube with a cap' in which case this is likely to be a 'displacement lubricator'. A small amount of the steam passing to the cylinders condenses to water which, being heavier than oil, falls to the bottom of the tube and displaces the oil so some is fed into the thin pipe and is carried by the rest of the steam to the cylinders. You will need some form of 'steam oil' which is resistant to the high steam temperature. That's quite an important to thing to find out - what oil the maker recommends.

You don't say anything about the type of fuel being fed to the burners or the gauge/scale of the loco, so I don't think I can help you on the burner problem.

There must be others about who have this make of loco. Possible sources to try, depending on the gauge or scale, are:
www.gauge0guild.com (I think that is a 'zero' (0) rather than an O)
www.16mm.org.uk - this is the Association of 16mm Narrow Gauge Modellers.
There is a Gauge 1 Society around as well.

Your local model engineering society may also be worth seeking out; many of the members of such societies make/operate steam engines.

Hope the above is of help,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I should think the Gauge 0 Guild the best bet to try first then.

Re the burners - either the wicks need reducing in height so that the flames are a bit smaller and so the air coming in is adequate, or there may be a problem in the fuel feed line to the burners so they are starved of fuel. Should burn with a clear blueish flame; if mostly yellowish then there may not be enough air.

A few words of warning - do make certain you are in a well-ventilated area when you are trying out the model and ensure there is absolutely no flame about when filling or refilling the fuel tank.

Do have a look on your local library shelves or in the county library catalogue. There have been a number of books written on live steam models and locomotives. Even some of the older ones (by Greenly or E A Steel, for example) will be helpful, I am sure.
Regards,
John Webb

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.