Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last month I've noticed several well known online dealers repricing their old stock to new levels far in excess of the actual euro/£ price conversion. Do they actually believe that if something sat on their shelf for the last two years or so and didn't move that by increasing its price by 33% or so that it will suddenly fly off the shelf especially in todays economic conditions. I for one as a matter of principle would never buy old stock at a new silly level, its pure daylight robbery.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Several points in response to your comments.

By "overpricing" I mean exactly that. A couple of shops seems to think that they can charge a higher price than the competition and get away with it. It seems with all the fuss of the £:euro exchange rate that some shops have increased their prices on "continental" stock way above the actual exchange rate fluctuation. As an example, a certain Trix wagon is £32.50 at a well known online store, the same wagon can be bought off modelbahnkramm for an equvalent of 26.50. The Trix Rheingold set, price on ebay.de or modelbahn kramm, 240 euro ( £216), price at same well known UK online dealer ----> £295. Who do they think they are kidding?

I have nothing against shops making profit, or owning a Porsche for that matter. My point is, with people tightening their purse strings are they going to pay over inflated prices ? In addition these high prices scare people off coming into the hobby which isn't good for the long term future of all involved.

Now lets imagine that existing modellers still spend the same amount but buy less stock, the shop may actually make more profit however the manufacturer will sell less and may eventually go out of business.

Just to add, I'm not referring to Hattons.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE (alastairq @ 7 Mar 2009, 10:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>if a ''local'' dealer..ie one that the OP frequents regularly, is selling at what is considered an 'inflated '' price, perhaps an attempt at 'bargaining''..or making a reduced offer, might be in order?

ie..expressing a keen interest in an item....but being quite clear that one cannot afford ''that price''....and asking how much the shop keeper is prepared to drop his price for you to afford the item, etc etc.....

for a regular customer, a negotiated price is sometimes forthcoming?

Just to point out its not my "local" dealer, its two shops that have extensive listings online.

As for peoples comments on ebay, I was referring to the buy it now type shops rather than the auctions where things can go to silly prices. The worst case I've seen was a single wagon from the Trix HO Maxhutte set (5 wagons) which sold for around £80 (the whole set is only £110 or so).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (PeterPug @ 7 Mar 2009, 23:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simonj
well, yes, I had intended to cover the 'buy it now' prices - but my post, when re-read, was a bit poor. The 'buy it now prices' were higher than those advertised by the 'normal' big sellers. The 'buy it now' prices were something like £69.99 ( less than £70
), whereas the prices at Hattons et al were in the £50s. So yes, I agree - also beware of the 'buy it now' 'bargain' prices.

Hattons have funny pricing, when they have a few units they sell it cheaper as a BARGAIN, then when only one is left the price goes up considerably.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.