Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (db ice 3 @ 8 Mar 2009, 20:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hi clive,

lovely to hear your moving back to glasgow, D & F sadly dont sell unbrellas for the non-stop rain - so make u sure you buy one and bring it with you ... but they sell or can get just about anything else!. good luck with your move back!.
the lady with the croaky voice, (cant remember her name - but she's been there for years is still there and her husband that she bosses around - its all quite funny and comical - worth a visit just to watch them argue over who ordered what and whys that not there etc lol)

i think its important just like u say to support these shops, theyre kinda few and far between these days - so ill certainly do my bit to help them along as they have done me over the years.
You probably want to hope they aren't members of MRF.
You may not get a discount after they read that.

I agree that it is far better to go and buy from a model shop. It's a better experience all round. My and those who live overseas, problem is that the price difference is not a tenner it can be twice the price. A price differential of hundreds of dollars or pounds cannot be ignored.

Where about is D and F by the way?

·
Registered
318 Posts
If you have a local model shop its worth visiting it, my nearest now is 20 miles away and its a pain in the butt. I too often kick off about pricing but we must remember these shops have big overheads, rates, heating , lighting and have to invest up front on stock. Its not like food, a fast turnover and stock can sit for ages on the shelf if its not popular. The £ is worth up to 29% less than it was last year and most of the stuff is from China and $ based. A lot of Chinese suppliers are now seeking payment in Euros so it will be even more expensive until a new source in India or elsewhere is found.
I agree with some of the comments about E bay, its good but some articles are being sold at silly prices more in some cases more than the RRP with people getting caught up in bidding fever. The dealer can afford to sit it out on stock with interest rates so low as he is not hit with exorbitant bank interest charges now.
The Internet is good but as I have found out its real hassle if the product is faulty or goes wrong under guarantee.
Look after the Indie as I said I wish I had a local shop

·
Registered
407 Posts
QUOTE (clive hayward @ 8 Mar 2009, 21:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Neil,
D&F models are in merchant city, 56 Bell St to be exact, not too far from Central station about a 5 min walk.

regards

Clive

that'll be 5 mins walk with no umbrella in the typical scottish weather then! ... or your a very fast walker lol - takes me about 15-20 mins dodging the crowds!.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.