Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Very useful Doug I shall be using some of the techniques detailed

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Interesting - & the results look good.

Anyone know what "Lightweight joint compound, which shrinks less than regular joint compound" is called in the UK ?

Almost certainly something easily available in the UK but called something else in the US. (bit like what we call "Polyfilla" is know as "Spackle" in thre US).

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a good collection of powder mix and ready mix compounds. I'll check which one shrinks the least.

I've had good results with Decosa polystyrene tile glue/putty. Sands well and the end result is smooth.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
don't forget, you lot........once you've mad your perfect road, you then need to take a chisel to it and dig up big trenches.....which you then fill in, not too evenly, with black coloured plaster.

this stuff really doesn't matter if it shrinks.

I f modelling modern image YuK prototypes, for the year 2007 the road needs to be painted in gloss varnish, allowing odd puddles of the stuff to congregate?

[has anybody come up with a solution to modelling the bow-waves coming off vehicle wheels?]

I f modelling 2006, then actually bothering with sanding the surface to produce prototype camber will be a waste of time.....simply sand out [heat-gcreated] wheel ruts?

get the camber sanding wrong, and you'll create yoru very own 'accident black spot', with all that goes with it...flashing lights, etc, don't forget to model fully the underside detail of that upside-down car?

then there are the road markings themselves.

a simple set of white.....or off-white, dashes down the middle will not 'do!'..very pale grey, with the odd black streak?

then rub a lot of them out altogether?

hazard lines, lane dividers, solid continuous lines, hatched areas, edge lines 'give way' or 'stop' lines, cycle lanes, properly marked pedestrian crossings......all the above dependant on era modelled?

or are you lot going to just ignore things, like the unaltered Matchbox vehicles?.....]hotwheels?]

or......what about gravel roads, or simple dirt tracks?

drains, gulleys, manhole covers.... dirt, dust' rubbish...dog poooh (again dependant on era modelled?]

[too many times I see Bus stops modelled that would be well nigh impossible for a bus to access.....ok, so it worked like that sometimes in real life...but rarely outside a railway station?]

and WHY do so many road vehicles seem frozen with their steering wheels locked in the dead- ahead postion?

or 'flats' not sanded into the bottoms of their tyres?

[why are some vehicle number plates perfectly readable from a scale distance of several hundred metres?]

the road list goes on and on?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 11 Aug 2007, 22:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>that's me...full of unanswered questions

Unwanted, unanswered, or just plain awkward
BUT having said that I feel that you have made a llot of very valid observations (although the thought of modelling doggy doos in OO/HO beggars belief).

Oh and you forgot four miles of coned of carriageway with no apparent repair activity happening)

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 13 Aug 2007, 17:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Unwanted, unanswered, or just plain awkward
BUT having said that I feel that you have made a llot of very valid observations (although the thought of modelling doggy doos in OO/HO beggars belief).

Oh and you forgot four miles of coned of carriageway with no apparent repair activity happening)

Regards

first reply.....ever heard of a company that flogs railway-orietated ''Olefactory Airs?''

well....a few small blobs of strategically-placed glue....and a drop or two of the appropriate olefactory oil....there you have it!

the reference to the 4 miles of coned-off carriageway?

a little inconsiderate, dont you think, since I suspect 99% of our readers don't have the space for 400 yards of railway track?

so suggesting they devote much much more precious home space to a road that's coned off????

However, you DO hilight the prototype -for - everything bit.....how many model roadworks does one find that are [a] too short, and a hive of activity?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 13 Aug 2007, 18:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>However, you DO hilight the prototype -for - everything bit.....how many model roadworks does one find that are [a] too short, and a hive of activity?

On St. Laurent we have a road at the front of the layout which runs for the entire length of that board (4 ft) from the level crossing to the road tunnel. This road is modelled as resurfacing works and equates to a real distance of 116 yards. There are nine wehicles and about 12 figures in the modelled scene all of which are appropriate to the work portrayed and positioned to actually look like they are meant to be there. Most of the vehicles are weathered to look the part and there are three stages of the work shown. The purpose of this was to create a scene we had never before seen modelled. A photo of part of this, a tar tanker and Transit plus the road barriers can be seen in the gallery of dbclass50. (I couldn't get the link to work).

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 14 Aug 2007, 17:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>the Faller instant traffic jam would look good too

Ah yes but you would'nt have to buy the roadway system as any assortment of road vehicles not moving would do the trick.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 15 Aug 2007, 13:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ah yes but you would'nt have to buy the roadway system as any assortment of road vehicles not moving would do the trick.

Regards

not quite the point tho'........at least viewers have the satisfaction of knowing, with the faller system, the cars WOULD move if they COULD?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
..............................and by mounting a speaker under the baseboard you could produce the sound of horns.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
And of course if modelling a French layout you could have the hold up as a British meat transporter being beseiged and burnt out by French Farmers. Lots of electrical gubbins could be used and it would be an excuse to buy lots of models of tractorsand trailers..................................

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
and of course the smell of Gauloise drifting across the road..........................

Regards

1 - 20 of 30 Posts