Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking have any of you used a decoder to operate aspect light signals ? as me and harkins would be interested to know especially on three aspect signals, also apart from the kato expensive light changing kit is there another way of triggering the signal on the locos aproach to it ? leaving the operator of the layout to other things.

upnick.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
Hi

Using a decoder to change a signal is sort of clumsy - three button pushes (accessory, number and enter usually) is less than fluid operation.

DCC interfacing for signals can be quite effective with a special decoder but its often the most expensive option... Its quite possible to trigger signals by anything from turnout position to simple detectors just as well for less cost.

Happy to go into detail but PM me as It needs longer discussion that a simple post to explain and anyway, I need to be brand specific and this tends to be not appreciated by forum management!

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There are several firms who make various modules to operate colour light signals by detecting the passing of a train, either by Infra-red sensing or by reed switch or similar. These run independently of the actual control system used.
Only drawback is that you could not easily interlock with points except by using switches on the point motors.

Have a look at www.heathcote-electronics.co.uk, www.kentpanelcontrols.co.uk for examples.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (John Webb @ 1 Feb 2008, 20:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Only drawback is that you could not easily interlock with points except by using switches on the point motors.
Regards, John Webb

Actually its much easier than you think but you need a detector with cascading or serial logic so it triggers adjacent detectors as well plus a device to interlock that with the points - both are available, and are far more economical than the example brands quoted.

They are also relatively easy to apply but as I said, I need to be specific to advise properly and as I've been asked not to specify specifc product details on list... I'd have to be by PM or direct email only.

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 1 Feb 2008, 11:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>They are also relatively easy to apply but as I said, I need to be specific to advise properly and as I've been asked not to specify specifc product details on list... I'd have to be by PM or direct email only.

That's a ridiculous rule! Is this a general rule or a "let's muzzle Richard Johnson" rule? How does John Webb get away with promoting Heathcote or Kent Panel Controls in his reply?

I can understand rules prohibiting unsolicited promotion of products (isn't there a specific forum for commercial announcements?), but in response to a specific question for assistance, you should be able to point out which brands/models are suitable to solve a problem, otherwise how do we learn anything? If there's a viable alternative then someone will surely post about it.

If you have a vested interest in what you are posting on then simply make that clear and allow readers to make their own judgement on the impartiality of your post.

Andrew crosland

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all,
Thank you for the ideas, especially the links to items that could prove very useful in my pursuit of wortking signals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts