Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been in the hobby for 50 years and after a recent house move I had to rebuild my layout. I decided to take the plunge into DCC and did a lot of research. Finally went for a NCE system with Zimo decoders. I chose Zimo for a variety of reasons but an important one was their implementation of asymmetric DCC. I tested their decoder and the Lenz one before making a choice and decided that as I was not going to buy a Lenz system the Zimo implementation gave me more control over a do it yourself stop before red implementation.

I realised at the layout planning stage that block lengths have to be quite big if you are to use this feature and as I have trains five feet long this meant a block length of 5 feet plus a reasonable stopping distance and after experimentation I concluded that this needed to be at least another train length.

I have laid my track and done most of the electics and am currently playing with the CV settings to fine tune the perfromance of the system. In total I have 7 stop before red blocks. I use an IRDOT infrared detector to trip the asymmetric diodes if the signal is red. I have had quite a lot of previous experience with IRDOT's and know how to make them reliable! So far I have a couple of diesels working but have one other that is currently refusing to respond to the settings. I am about to get into fiddling with the threshold settings in CV134 to see if that solves the problem.

It is a fiddle and the large block lengths do limit the opportunities to use it but so far I am quite pleased with the results.

If there is anyone else out there using Zimo decoders I woud dearly like to exchange experiences as I have found very little written up about this feature and although the Zimo literature is quite good when you get into the finer points it is limited.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear BVM,

I have been using Zimo decoders for some years, but only in a limited fashion on a test track. I have not got as far as you in using these advanced features.

If you get no replies on this forum, perhaps you can try the Yahoo Group for Zimo Users?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (John @ 26 Oct 2007, 12:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dear BVM,

I have been using Zimo decoders for some years, but only in a limited fashion on a test track. I have not got as far as you in using these advanced features.

If you get no replies on this forum, perhaps you can try the Yahoo Group for Zimo Users?

Thanks John was unaware of that.

Incidentally I live in Poole, Dorset UK.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Hi BVM,

There is a recent thread on asymmetric DCC here on the Forum. I am currently doing my own investigations into Zimo and asymmetric DCC. When I have some more information, I plan to post it on that thread. From what you've already written, I think you are further on than I am.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts