Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have noticed myself and SRman have been happily discussing our model bus fleets, however I decided that the subject was getting away from greeting a new member so thought I'd start a new topic.

Now obviously the main subject we all enjoy and discuss here is our model railways, but as has been proved elsewhere this is not always the only modelling involvement we have.

So what else do other members collect that has started as a by product of raiway modelling?

Regards

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure it's a by product of railway modling but I make the odd aircraft model in 1/72 scale and have collected Corgi planes, oh and USAAF arm patches. I have a collection of un made boxed aircraft, waiting to get made.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
yes i also seem to collect a very high number of kits that i will build one day! i also do planes and boats.

i am not sure i have been consciously collecting them or even if its valid in this thread but i seem to have acquired a rather large number of tools.

I also do stained glass and mosaics. but again thats more of a hobby and not related so its not really valid in this thread.

umm....

Peter

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Me too,

Not aircraft kits but Star Trek, I have a half built Excelior, NCC1701A & Deep Space 9 to build and a converted Klingon Bird of Prey in landingwing formation to transfer and varnish

Stored, I have NCC1701B, NCC1701C, NCC1701D, NCC1701E, Bird of Prey in flight, a Runabout and probabilly something else, SWMBO has a hard enough time letting me have my railway AND my collection of diecast Corvettes on display so am not going to push the boat!

Brian

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Where do you guys find the time for all of your other modelling. I am embarking on a 5 year plan to build my layout and certainly won't have time for anything else (except maybe the odd 18 holes).

Expat.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (Expat @ 8 Mar 2008, 10:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Where do you guys find the time for all of your other modelling. I am embarking on a 5 year plan to build my layout and certainly won't have time for anything else (except maybe the odd 18 holes).

Expat.

Ah well, that's where the difference lies. I don't play golf, nor do I play much sport at all (it shows in my waisteline!) although I used to play a bit of tennis or squash. Now, what you have to do is get your priorities right and abandon that rotten, frustrating game of 18 holes and get on with some real modelling (no, not the catwalk!).

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I am in a rather fortunate position where my hobbies pay for themselves.

When i did stained glass i could get a respectable sum for one of my lamps but nobody wants to spend £200 on one of mine when they can get a cheap chinese copy for £30. (even if it will fall apart in 5 years)

My mosaics i make instead of buying christmas presents so i actually save money there.

And i sell my coaches to help pay the bills. I actually have quite a good day job that pays well but by the time i have paid taxes and a london rent etc... i really dont have much left over. the coaches help to give me some pocket money now and then.

Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
My other hobby is wargaming, so I have large collection of mainly 1:72/76 scale World War II vehicles and figures that I've modelled, with the occasional completed diecast model. Also have 15mm ACW and Napoleonics. So it does become a juggling act with 1930/40s LNER and WD model railways.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I know its not a by product of modelrailroading...but I do some painting, mainly watercolor.( I am retired and have some time)

Here are a couple of samples of ferry boats which used to carry commuters along the bosphorous once...

Baykal

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I started in the modelling theme with the 1/72 aircraft kits and built more kits than I could remember but haven't done one for a long time now. Had a flurry with model railways then discovered girls and rock music so everything else took a back seat. Got hooked on Star Trek TNG, DS9 and Voyager and discovered there were kits of the Starships available so got back into modelling with these:-
The USS Voyager NCC-74656

The USS Excelsior NCC-2000

The USS Excalibur NCC-26517

The USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E

I have a few more kits, both made up and awaiting construction but these were the only ones I had pictures of at the ready.

I also have a collectoin of 1/18 model F1 cars, but right now it's the railway that commands my attention because it's such a varied hobby.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (ebaykal @ 10 Mar 2008, 09:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I know its not a by product of modelrailroading...but I do some painting, mainly watercolor.( I am retired and have some time)

Excellent paintings Baykal, at first glance I thought the top one was a photograph.

Regards

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Some interesting hobbies and excellent modelling there guys.

I also started as a youngster with model aircraft (Airfix, of course!). This then lead on to the Airfix 1:32 cars. All of these then just gathered dust on shelves. At the same time I was building up my model railway (with Airfix railway trackside items too!) and got interested in buses as well - I have reproduced a post from the other thread to fill in the gap for those who haven't seen that thread (with apologies to those who have already seen this bit):

My interest in model buses really started in my teens when I was dissatisfied with the standard Routemaster being the only available London bus on my layout. i wanted something that I remembered and could relate to such as an RT or RF in green. That was too difficult initially but, inspired by a couple of pictures in a magazine my Mum sent over from England, I scratchbuilt a Red Arrow AEC Merlin (MBA class) in card. It was very crude and I soon rebuilt it so it was a little less square-cornered. By the time I was 15 I had built two RFs in card - I still have them, although they are very battered now, 36 or more years later.

The next foray was when I discovered some white metal kits from Cotswold for an RT and a Merlin. Neither was especially good by current standards but they were a considerable improvement on my own efforts. I still have both - the Merlin has been rebuilt twice now, as the original white metal was very soft and that long, unsupported roof sags in the middle after a period of time (a bit like the real ones, actually!).

From there I got the bug and have been building white metal, plastic and, later, resin kits ever since.

Then, of course, EFE produced their RT and I have collected and modified many (but definitely not all) of their models.

Each kit I build gets better than the last. It's all a matter of practice. I look at some earlier efforts can see how much I have advanced and learnt from previous mistakes and made gradual improvements in my techniques and finishes.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
To return to the bus fleet if I may my buses started as a direct link to needing something for a layout rhat was not a Routemaster and would fit into a 1930's scene. The item purchased was a Pirate Models Bedford single deck which came from a model shop in Gloucester (any ideas Peter?). This did sterling service on several projects until age and a fall caught up with it. It has now been modified into an East Kent Morris of circa 1930 vintage.

I think my favourite though is the ex Fanfare kit, now Little Bus Co I think, AEC Regent V with full front Park Royal Body - I suppose you could call it East Kents' answer to the Routemaster.

Regards

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That computer-shaped candle is very convincing ... just the right shade of beige!

Seriously, they look very nice.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Excellent work by you both - I really like that second lamp down Peter.

Regards

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Talking of modelling, but hot much to do with trains, Peter kindly found these models for me at his local model shop in London when he was getting me a BR 131/231 train kit. My son and I made them up over the last few weeks. He did the sticking together and I did the airbrushing.

These are Revel kits and were about £2 each.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts