Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

Available in several road names including the legendary Denver & Rio Grande Western the 4-6-6-4 Challenger raises the bar for N-Scale locomotives that don't cost an arm and leg. (At most just an arm
)

Due Early August, 2006
Retail Price: $424.99

Overview

This stunning reproduction of the 4-6-6-4 Challenger besides being DCC ready includes authentic sounds that are channeled through factory installed DCC and soundboard with speakers.

The DCC decoder automatically senses what type of power supply is in use (conventional DC or NMRA compliant DCC) and adapts its functions. The modeler doesn't have to do a thing.

Functions and sounds available to DCC users include:

Bell
Whistle
Water injector
Air release
Blower hiss
Fire box door
Lighting direction
Coupling
Brake squeal
Conductor's voice
Sand release
Cylinder cock/flange squeal

A handheld wireless controller is included for use with conventional DC power supplies. With it, modelers can control six sound functions as well as speed and direction.

The N Scale 4-6-6-4 Challenger includes a history book and instruction book for quick reference.

Key Features

* Boiler backhead with full detailing
* Individually applied piping, valves, generators, etc.
* Correctly operating eccentric cranks
* Headlights and number boards with directional light change
* Tender light
* Five pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels
* Pivoting front and rear engines for negotiating 9-3/4" radius curves
* Factory installed onboard sound and DCC decoder
* Hand held remote control for DC operation
* Blackened metal wheels
* MicroTrains operating knuckle couplers installed

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I guess the one advantage that model has as a N gauge model is that it is probably almost the size of an OO gauge model!

Its asking a lot right now to expect all that electronic wizardry to fit into the latest N gauge steam offerings from Peco or Dapol. Maybe in 10 years time when we all have mobile phones with the computing power of a laptop.

I would guess that the other question of interest would be about the scale of the sound.

Is is half the volume of OO gauge sound?

The rivet counters won't be happy if the sound is unrealistically LOUD!

The good thing of course is that if electronic wizardry is now of a size that enables it to be fitted into a loco of this type then there will be a very good chance that it will be able to fit into OO gauge tank locomotives. Now I do like that idea!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Wow! Talk about getting a quart into a pint pot! My experience of the Fleischmann sound locos in N scale is good. They have a reasonable volume and seems appropriate to the size. The main problem is having a large enough "resonating" chamber which is why tank engines won't really work....

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE I guess the one advantage that model has as a N gauge model is that it is probably almost the size of an OO gauge model!

Its asking a lot right now to expect all that electronic wizardry to fit into the latest N gauge steam offerings from Peco or Dapol. Maybe in 10 years time when we all have mobile phones with the computing power of a laptop.

I would guess that the other question of interest would be about the scale of the sound.

Is is half the volume of OO gauge sound?

What is the point of constantly comparing everything to OO Scale? Last time I looked this forum was called Model Rail Forum and not Model OO Rail Forum. Why would the volume have to be 1/2 that of OO Gauge? Does that mean that O Gauge sound must be 2x as loud? Excuse me but I think somebody is just making this up to degenerate what is being accomplished in another scale by people living in another country.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Ooops! Gary, say sorry to Dennis!

Dennis has a point though - many of us do tend to use OO as our bench mark. The garden enthusiasts among us, however, try to get as much noise as we can out of our locos!!

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want this to be blown out of proportion and no apologies are required. I just have an adversion to fractured logic which in this instance alleges that there is a "scaleness" to sound. If N-scale should sound half as loud as OO scale then at what lever of volume should O-Scale be set at?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Sorry Dennis didn't mean to offend. I was genuinely excited by the consequences of what had been achieved here and the knock on effect for that gauge that interests me. Clearly N gauge modellers will be excited by this developement.

Although I will admit also to some curiousity about sound volumes and maybe I could have put it better.

Having listened to LGB garden locos at exhibitions they are definitely a lot louder than any HO/OO locos with sound chips that I have heard. I was just wondering if N gauge sound might be drowned by any background noise?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
What I have heard was pretty much as loud as HO. The issue has more to do with the size of the enclosure. That being said the speakers currently being used except for their size are your standard garden variety. What results could be had with more advanced designs including the use of a wireless sub-woofer can only be dreamed about at present. Remember that the lower part of the bandwidth is non-directional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts