Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
A keen and friendly Railway fan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to modeling Australian Railways and I have since purchased a number of Australian rolling stock which includes 2x Tait units from Auscision.
I intend on buying more as these are beautiful models and they will form the backbone of my layout operations. However it has become apparent that Auscision's 7 car set only has one motor, yet in real life it split and ran in a 4car formation for a while. However, I was hoping to recreate that operations with these 7car sets, so is there anyway I can get around this issue?

Thanks for your help, stay safe

· Premium Member
111 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd suggest contacting Auscision directly.

Australian Modeller seems to stock most local manufacturers, if you aren't already aware of them. They may be able to help also.

The link shows the RAAF recruitment train.

· In depth idiot
8,703 Posts
...Auscision's 7 car set only has one motor, yet in real life it split and ran in a 4 car formation for a while. However, I was hoping to recreate that operations with these 7 car sets, so is there anyway I can get around this issue?...
I would suggest that before contacting Auscision you take a good look at the model construction, to assess whether the motorised chassis / drive unit will fit in an unmotorised car, and if you feel able to undertake this project.

If the answer is yes, you then have something to propose: can you sell me a motorised chassis / drive unit? I don't know how things are in Aus. but with manufacture of models for the UK all being in China, typically the brand representatives in the UK don't look beyond selling - and at need repairing - the product as manufactured; going 'off piste' isn't in the job description...

· Registered
1,679 Posts
There's no problem running it as a 4-car unit, but with no motor to power the 3-car part, you'd have to find a way to propel it out of the way, if you don't wish to hand-shunt it.

My suggestion: reverse the 7-car set, with the 3-car set trailing, into a siding and uncouple the 3-car, leaving it there, then drive the 4-car set out. If you really wish to complete the illusion, you would need to fit the working marker lights in the middle driving car (which becomes the other end one in the 4-car set). Of course, if you do that, you can run the 4-car set in either direction. I know that it works fine with my 4-car set with the motor car leading or trailing.

Each model Motor car (whether powered or not) has a driving cab modelled. The 7-car sets are formed M-T-T-M+G-T-M, where M = a Driving Motor and T = Trailer. What that means is there are three driving cabs (exactly like the leading one in my photo) in the 7-car unit. In real life, the G car was a trailer in the 3-car unit adjacent to the driving M in the 4-car unit which had some extra gear to allow easy coupling and separation of the two units. If you visit the Auscision page (Auscision Tait Sets), and scroll about one-third of the way down, you'll see what I mean about the formation.

Train Plant Vehicle Rolling stock Mode of transport

1 - 4 of 4 Posts