Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
knowing this design well I would mount the decoder in the tender and make the tender to loco a permanent coupling. You would need to cut a channel under the body and into the tender for the wires to enter. I think the potential for over heating with loks sound decoders a problem so close to the motor, as they are reputed to melt the protective wrap with continuous running. Consider a nice flat speaker in the tender as ideal for producing the best possible sound. I really think your solution of a speaker in the cab to be grossly ugly. Ok you will need to rebuilt the tender top with plasticard and a coal load, but it will look better. Finally the cab of any steam loco is intended for the crew. If you think space is a problem consider I have a installed a even larger decoder and flat speaker in a Bachmann K3 tender, and the sound was deafening unless cut down a bit.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I certainly don't claim that volume of sound installs, as I don't do it as a full time business (it takes the fun out of things) but I do handle a fair few. (2 or 3 a week when I'm motivated !) I normally set the sound up a couple notches higher than I would like as that's what the average punter wants. They get an instruction sheet and almost the first instruction is how to set the sound a bit softer !. My own layout is 100% sound, but I don't want it blasting me out of my stool
there's nothing worse. I only do steam installs and spend a lot of time just getting the motion to match the sound, as I don't use cams, that's interesting and very good fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.