Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Just out of curiosity, which australian loco's do you think would be a suitable subject for a new kit? if its broad gauge it would have 16.5mm and 18mm frame spacers. if its narrow gauge it would have 12mm spacers.

loco's with lots of castings are a no-go and box pop wheels are virtually impossible to source.

I have wanted to do some colonial stuff for some time and i have an idea about doing a C30T or a C32 but knowing next to nothing about australian railways i would love to hear your opinions.

I have been going through the industry magazines fron the first half of this century and i am amazed at the number of drawings i have come across and completly stunned at their quality. (if i was a manufacturer i would not be publishing almost complete blueprints of my latest loco!! but they wanted the export orders so it was a way of getting a free advert.)

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 14 Dec 2008, 15:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Many are already covered either by ex DJH, Brass or as kits.... and most of the volume sellers are alreay in the process of becoming RTR plastic ex asia.

If you are wanting a popular subject than one of the "puffing Billy" loco's might be a winner though. (HO narrow gauge). There's a nice wee Garratt among them....

The C32 is just released as a RTR ex China.... so probably not.

What WOULD get the blood racing for many and sell well is a set of the GHAN or any other cross-australia standard gauge coaches - the locos are available but the only coaches are the B awful Lima models!

Each train has LOTS of coaches so multiple orders would be common....

Now back to that loco - how about a Kirtley :) :) :)

Most of the castings would be not too hard to source - and the external springs made up as real leaf springs from etchings would be a nice touch!

Richard

Hello Richard

One of the motives for my thinking was that i quite fancy a couple of auzzie loco's for myself and i cant afford the RTR stuff. i totally understand that they are fairly limited runs and that pushes the price up but that inturn pushes it beyond my reach. in the current economic situation me manufacturing them in the UK might make them relativly cheap to the rest fo the world.

I am going to be very honest here - i am a rubbish pattern maker- there i have said it. i feel somehow cleansed. so a loco that requires VERY simple castings would be a huge advantage.

If you source the drawings i would be happy to do the Ghan coaches. if you can source bogie sideframes then i suspect they would be a piece of cake from my point of view.

Re-kirtly! hmm. the thing is i know it would be a little stunner. but i am not sure i can do it justice. and someone would complain it was wrong. now for an auzzie kit i probably wouldnt give a damn about that. but when they can corner me down the club and beat me up behind the bycycle sheds at scaleforum its another matter!

QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 14 Dec 2008, 22:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Pedro, If I were starting on a NSW loco for the first time then it would be a 36class. These were 4-6-0's and came in two versions with a round top firebox or in rebuilt form with a Belpaire firebox. The 30class can be a tricky little model but i know that a person with modelling skills would have minimal difficulties. All the picture bar one are Footplate Model Kits custom made for Footplate by DJH but unfotunately only available from Footplate. here's the web address for the only supplier of Footplate Models http://www.arkits.com/

Ozzie thankyou very much for your reply. it dosent have to be an NSW loco. as long as its pretty i am not very fussy. if it was one of the loco's made by a brittish manufacturer than drawings might be easier for me. This would only be my 4th loco kit and at the moment i dont feel my loco design skills are suffeciently advanced to do a taper boiler. as soon as i can do a taper firebox there are a couple of loco's i wold love to do but for now they have to wait (a CZECH 475 being the biggie!).

I like the footplate/DJH kits but as with most of the DJH continental kits they are rather expensive for me and i am getting better at drawing etches! i am rather taken with your C30T. what is the cover over the slidebars?

Peter

P.S. your D57 - WOW!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts