Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
How do you go about automiseing tension lock couplings without the use of uncoupling ramps. for instance if you where halfway down a siding with no uncoupling ramp how whoud you go about uncoupling without the 'Hand of god.' If this is not possible can you suggest any other sort of couplings(preferably quite cheap)
I have found one using Kadees but apart from that, nothing

Thanks
Kiwionrails

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
It could probably be done but to be honest, if you want to go for this level of operation I would consign the tension locks to where (IMHO) they belong - history.

A number of couplings can be "pre-released" at the entrance to a siding, gently pushed into place & then left in the required position.

The German company Kroiss produce some excellent couplings that can be operated anywhere on the layout via DCC.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian

Do you know their website, I can't seem to find them
Thanks
Kiwionrails

·
In depth idiot
7,685 Posts
Kiwi,

Of commercial autocouplers, Kadee is probably the favourite in the UK as a superior replacement for tension locks. If you are prepared to install it carefully (and this is much easier now many items of stock have NEM pockets) it works reliably, offers genuine hands-off performance; and actually looks like prototype knuckle couplers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hello Kiwi

I have seen a lot of discussion about " the best coupling" on various forums in the last few weeks.

It's almost impossible to give this kind of advice as no-one knows what your skills are, what your budget is or how important "appearance" is to you.

I don't read German but I would guess that the Germaan DCC uncoupler would be expensive and you'd need one for every loco/coach/wagon you wanted to uncouple. And are you using DCC?

I use and recommend Kadees with electromagnets. Some will say that Kadees are expensive - but why do you need to put Kadees on every vehicle? I only put Kadees on the end of rakes and it doesn't matter a jot what coupling you use inside the rake. Personally, I "short couple" inside rakes by modifying the standard tension lock coupling - that way my wagons virtually "buffer up" when being propelled.

If you are the average modeller with an average budget I suggest you experiment with Kadees - find out its strengths and weaknesses.

All coupling/uncoupling systems have strengths and weaknesses. Evaluate them all and once you know which system suits you best you can plan your layout accordingly.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
526 Posts
QUOTE (paul stapleton @ 15 Feb 2009, 15:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hello Kiwi

I don't read German but I would guess that the Germaan DCC uncoupler would be expensive and you'd need one for every loco/coach/wagon you wanted to uncouple. And are you using DCC?

Paul

There is an English ordering page which says that each coupling is over 20 Euros so in real terms this is expensive. One also needs a decoder to issue an uncoupling command and the voltage used is 16volts. I think that only certain decoders will handle this and I note that CT Elektroniks are specifically mentioned and I know that my CT decoders do have a CV that is related to uncoupling.

I reckon that this uncoupler would be ideal for uncoupling a loco from a fixed rake of coaches or wagons as their is some suggestion that it will uncouple from other types of coupling but I suspect that only the Fleischmann and Roco types are supported. Somehow, I doubt that tension locks are supported by this product.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** They are to me big bulky and ugly however the 16v is not a problam - they do not support anything other than EU type couplers

Richard

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
They are a little pricy but most of the people we know that use them fit them only to the locomotives.

They do need a function output that is momentry, otherwise the tiny coils will burn out. Available in a number of types, but not the tension lock.

·
Premium Member
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks For the info, I'm on a fairly limited budget of £1-£3 Per wagon and £3-£5 per loco (I've Got 6, 1 Desal and 5 Steam), in other words I would prefer not to have to fit a decoder in every wagon, But because I'm DCC I've already got it in all my locos'
Thanks again
Kiwionrails

1 - 11 of 11 Posts