Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently converted to DCC. (Why didn't I do it earlier!!!)
On my old analogue layout I had various automatic systems. One in particular was an automatic reverser for a DMU to travel back and forth between stations. Do such things exist for DCC. Haven't seen anything but then I could be looking in the wrong place.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Not sure about stand-alone modules, but with computer control this could be done easily. Most DCC systems allow hook-up to a PC and then with the right software you can set routes and schedules as you want.

Computer control and some layout feedback modules installed would let leave a station at a suitable speed, drive at a reasonable pre-determined speed through built-up areas, perhaps accelerate in the open country, then slow down again at the next station and stop in the right place. With a sound decoder installed, you loco could whistle at the right places too. You could set it to stop at signals and make way for other trains as required. A timetable could be maintained and other trains also controlled by the system or manually could share the same lines. Anything is possible.

Look here at one train control system: http://www.freiwald.com/pages/traincontroller.htm (there are a few others).

I don't actually use this (...yet ;-) , but I do sometimes use a PC to program my decoders with my Lenz system and it's USB PC interface. Perhaps someone who uses automation can explain how easy it is to set up? I build my layout with the idea that one day I may install feedback units so I keep my track work suitably segmented even though it is all joined up the the DCC BUS now. I can insert feedback modules wherever I like.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
QUOTE (dumpy @ 5 Nov 2008, 16:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have recently converted to DCC. (Why didn't I do it earlier!!!)
On my old analogue layout I had various automatic systems. One in particular was an automatic reverser for a DMU to travel back and forth between stations. Do such things exist for DCC. Haven't seen anything but then I could be looking in the wrong place.

Hi Dumpy welcome to the foum

Do you mean a shuttle unit for DCC or a module for handling the track wiring ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 5 Nov 2008, 17:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Dumpy welcome to the foum

Do you mean a shuttle unit for DCC or a module for handling the track wiring ?

I'm pretty sure I mean a shuttle unit

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 5 Nov 2008, 16:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure about stand-alone modules, but with computer control this could be done easily. Most DCC systems allow hook-up to a PC and then with the right software you can set routes and schedules as you want.

Computer control and some layout feedback modules installed would let leave a station at a suitable speed, drive at a reasonable pre-determined speed through built-up areas, perhaps accelerate in the open country, then slow down again at the next station and stop in the right place. With a sound decoder installed, you loco could whistle at the right places too. You could set it to stop at signals and make way for other trains as required. A timetable could be maintained and other trains also controlled by the system or manually could share the same lines. Anything is possible.

Look here at one train control system: http://www.freiwald.com/pages/traincontroller.htm (there are a few others).

I don't actually use this (...yet ;-) , but I do sometimes use a PC to program my decoders with my Lenz system and it's USB PC interface. Perhaps someone who uses automation can explain how easy it is to set up? I build my layout with the idea that one day I may install feedback units so I keep my track work suitably segmented even though it is all joined up the the DCC BUS now. I can insert feedback modules wherever I like.
Hell's teeth! This looks way beyond an ageing recidivist like me. However have had a look at the website and am really up for this. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I shall pursue this and report back. Thanks for the link.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (dumpy @ 5 Nov 2008, 20:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hell's teeth! This looks way beyond an ageing recidivist like me. However have had a look at the website and am really up for this. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I shall pursue this and report back. Thanks for the link.

What you must do is find someone who has been there before. There are people here that have. Let's hope they are around and see this topic.

Start out small and simple. Understand the way it works and expand from there.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Check the Zimo website link to see if they do any suitable modules. Given the complexity of their systems, it's just something they might do.

David

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dear All,

This type of functionality is built-in to the ZIMO Command Station (MX1). If you read this manual, look on page 7 for a description of how to do this. You need a couple of detectors (one at each end of the shuttle) for this to work. The stop-over time at each end can be set by CVs.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All

The ESU ECoS can control a shuttle as well

Depending on what DCC System and what Decoders you are using you could use Bitswitch command (see Ians Post Here) to control stopping and starting automatically , but not to change in direction

There is no simple way (yet) with DCC to operate a shuttle without having some form of computer control

The Main difference with Analog , is that a simple circuit could reverse the Polarity of the track , With DCC you need to change direction with a digital command -Specific to the Loco under control.

Regards Zmil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The FLM Twin-Centre (AKA Uhelbrook Intellebox) has this facility that will work with any decent decoder & does not require additional modules - does require setting up & not as accurate as regards actual stop positions as the Lenz.

This is one area where analogue can be much simpler & easier than DCC.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi All

Another solution would be to have a separate track (Isolated from the DCC system) for your DMUs and use the traditional Analog shuttle module for that

I had intended to do just that with my Railbus ( and still might ) the Track could cross the DCC operated track or even could join up with it , as long as you use the correct separator module between the the Analog and Digital controlled Track

If you join the Analog Controlled track to the Digital . It needs to be isolated on both rails then the next section or block (must be 1 train length ) is controlled via the separator module then isolated at both rails Now the Digital Control takes over .

Basically three blocks totally isolated from each other

Regards Zmil

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you want to automate a bit more than just a shuttle, then the MX9 from ZIMO may be suitable. See here for a comprehensive manual with examples. The MX9 can support up to 8 sections and do various types of automated operation. It does require decoders with the ZIMO HLU braking method, which limits you to ZIMO and CT Elektronic (and possibly others). With add-on boards you can set signals and switch occupancy lights on a control panel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts