Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Not sure about stand-alone modules, but with computer control this could be done easily. Most DCC systems allow hook-up to a PC and then with the right software you can set routes and schedules as you want.

Computer control and some layout feedback modules installed would let leave a station at a suitable speed, drive at a reasonable pre-determined speed through built-up areas, perhaps accelerate in the open country, then slow down again at the next station and stop in the right place. With a sound decoder installed, you loco could whistle at the right places too. You could set it to stop at signals and make way for other trains as required. A timetable could be maintained and other trains also controlled by the system or manually could share the same lines. Anything is possible.

Look here at one train control system: http://www.freiwald.com/pages/traincontroller.htm (there are a few others).

I don't actually use this (...yet ;-) , but I do sometimes use a PC to program my decoders with my Lenz system and it's USB PC interface. Perhaps someone who uses automation can explain how easy it is to set up? I build my layout with the idea that one day I may install feedback units so I keep my track work suitably segmented even though it is all joined up the the DCC BUS now. I can insert feedback modules wherever I like.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
QUOTE (dumpy @ 5 Nov 2008, 20:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hell's teeth! This looks way beyond an ageing recidivist like me. However have had a look at the website and am really up for this. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I shall pursue this and report back. Thanks for the link.

What you must do is find someone who has been there before. There are people here that have. Let's hope they are around and see this topic.

Start out small and simple. Understand the way it works and expand from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts