Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have recently converted to DCC. (Why didn't I do it earlier!!!)
On my old analogue layout I had various automatic systems. One in particular was an automatic reverser for a DMU to travel back and forth between stations. Do such things exist for DCC. Haven't seen anything but then I could be looking in the wrong place.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (upnick @ 5 Nov 2008, 17:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Dumpy welcome to the foum

Do you mean a shuttle unit for DCC or a module for handling the track wiring ?

I'm pretty sure I mean a shuttle unit

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (Doug @ 5 Nov 2008, 16:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Not sure about stand-alone modules, but with computer control this could be done easily. Most DCC systems allow hook-up to a PC and then with the right software you can set routes and schedules as you want.

Computer control and some layout feedback modules installed would let leave a station at a suitable speed, drive at a reasonable pre-determined speed through built-up areas, perhaps accelerate in the open country, then slow down again at the next station and stop in the right place. With a sound decoder installed, you loco could whistle at the right places too. You could set it to stop at signals and make way for other trains as required. A timetable could be maintained and other trains also controlled by the system or manually could share the same lines. Anything is possible.

Look here at one train control system: http://www.freiwald.com/pages/traincontroller.htm (there are a few others).

I don't actually use this (...yet ;-) , but I do sometimes use a PC to program my decoders with my Lenz system and it's USB PC interface. Perhaps someone who uses automation can explain how easy it is to set up? I build my layout with the idea that one day I may install feedback units so I keep my track work suitably segmented even though it is all joined up the the DCC BUS now. I can insert feedback modules wherever I like.
Hell's teeth! This looks way beyond an ageing recidivist like me. However have had a look at the website and am really up for this. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I shall pursue this and report back. Thanks for the link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts