Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've seen this topic come up before in posts regarding Fleischmann turntables, but I got a bit confused and I've got a simple(ish) question.

As I understand it I need an autoreverse unit to work with the turntable to stop the DCC unit shorting. I have a Bachmann Dynamis (for my sins) and as far as I can see there are two alternatives bearing in mind I need a unit that works on relays. The first is the PSX-AR at around £42 and the other is the Onguard system at £25.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Onguard system would not work with the lower output devices such as mine.

All I'm after is a steer as to which of the two would be best. Or is there another option out there?

As always many thanks in advance.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
If the turntable works in DC it will work in DCC. It must include a split ring or some other arrangement for reversing the polarity as it rotates, and this will operate with DCC too. Downside is that depending on the arrangement it might interrupt the power long enough for lights to turn off and any sound locos to shut down and restart.

I have the OG-AR which works fine with my Lenz system, but can't speak for Dynamis.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Edwin.

Sounds like the Onguard system would be a possiblity.

Anyone using the PSX-AR?

Many thanks.

Mark.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Hi
The Bachmann Dynamis has a very fast overload cut-out speed.
It fails to work well with many Auto Reverse Modules!!
Have a read through previous posts which may help?
Link to Topic
Also there are a couple of links within that topic off to another topic and also another web site, which is also worth having a read of those comments too.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you haven't bought your turntable yet, it might be worth considering the Heljan one instead. This has autoreverse built-in so you don't need an external AR unit. Although the large one is given as 90 ft, that's the HO equivalent: at 4mm scale that works out at 78 ft which looks fine.

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,928 Posts
I use a PSX AR and it works perfectly every time. No moving parts, silent, and totally reliable. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth every penny. I got mine from Tonys Trains.

·
Registered
536 Posts
QUOTE (hoonsou @ 17 Mar 2009, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I use a PSX AR and it works perfectly every time. No moving parts, silent, and totally reliable. As far as I'm concerned, it's worth every penny. I got mine from Tonys Trains.
Hi
Is that with a Bachmann Dynamis console?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts