Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Have a look at new Faller tram/bus shelter and cycle rack from the same kit:

The Bachmann track trolley has been replaced with a proper gravel drag on the trap siding:

And now for the 'Prototype for Everything Department':

Sheffield Halfway Terminus.

Sand drag on catch siding at Upminster LUL.

Utah Transit Authority, Salt Lake City.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello piermaster.

I was browsing through old railway modellers in bed the other night and came across your pier layout. it was a really good spread and came across really well in the article. i was a bit supprised to see it. it didnt quite register at first but i kept thinking "that looks very familiar"!

I read so many of these articles where somone has bought a plank of wood put a layout on it and somehow manages to fill 6 pages with guff. it was good to see a concise article where you really had something to tell us.

A really good little article.

peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Piermaster @ 4 Dec 2007, 23:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi All,

Have a look at new Faller tram/bus shelter and cycle rack from the same kit:

Dave.

Hi Dave,

The Faller kit sits well with the scene - I see you are using Viessmann Catenary as well. Pity the Viessman Taxi's with the illuminated "Taxi" sign & headlamps are in "Eurocream" - would look quite nice otherwise.

Thanks for the pics & the progress reports.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 5 Dec 2007, 07:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hello piermaster.

I was browsing through old railway modellers in bed the other night and came across your pier layout. it was a really good spread and came across really well in the article. i was a bit supprised to see it. it didnt quite register at first but i kept thinking "that looks very familiar"!

I read so many of these articles where somone has bought a plank of wood put a layout on it and somehow manages to fill 6 pages with guff. it was good to see a concise article where you really had something to tell us.

A really good little article.

peter

Hi Peter,

My Walmington Pier Tramway has never appeared in Railway Modeller - The pier in RM was in OO9 by Laurie Cooksey and although well detailed, it was a very poor performer at shows and I understand that its no longer available. I write for 'Model Trains International' and only write for that mag. When Cyril Freezer first saw Walmington Pier Tramway about 5-6 years ago, he suggested that I should write an article for BRM - I contacted John Emerson and he wasn't interested. I am reluctant to write for RM as their lead times are so unbearably long, my article could end up as my obituary!!!

Thanks for the kind comments, You might've got the wrong pier!!!

Dave

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 5 Dec 2007, 08:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>oah. oops, sorry!! i will just sit here and hang my head in shame.

Peter

No, there's no need to do that! Just try and not to fall asleep when reading Railway Modellers in bed (Sounds like an impossible task, for I can sleep by reading them anywhere)!!!

Dave

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
The changes look good Dave, the shelter is the business.

Regards

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great stuff!

Can I ask you - for your trams do you use standard HO track or another gauge?

·
Registered
771 Posts
QUOTE (Kimbo @ 5 Dec 2007, 20:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great stuff!

Can I ask you - for your trams do you use standard HO track or another gauge?

Hi Kimbo,
Welcome aboard!!!

I used just standard Peco Code 100 Setrack with Streamline insulfrog points and Gaugemaster foam ballast underlay under the straight track and Peco underlay under the points. No fancy stuff here!!!

Because you're new here and not familiar with this layout, let me tell you abit about its short history:
Built early this year as a three track yard including reversing siding and two-track terminus on a 3ft x 6ins (1067mm x 152mm). It was ok to operate with two people (one driving and one changing the stock on and off the board) but was difficult for sole operation as I had to stretch along the 1 metre + length to operate and stock change! At an exhibition in July a child ran into the trestle toppling the layout onto me and was extensively damaged (the parents were too stupid or too ignorant to apologise). So I simplified it to a single track terminus and two stabling sidings, which doesn't require me to over reach and simplifies operation for my co-operator Barbara, who was greatly confused by the original complex operation! It is a simple terminus with two stabling sidings, although not prototypical (except by the photos in the opening page) it does look the part!

Just for you, attached are two photos of the stabling sidings:

Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the introduction!

It looks fantastic! I really like it - I hope the tram line I've got planned will be just as good and as rewarding!!

Have you always liked the American-style tram? Brussels has plenty of those, they're starting to retire them from service though.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (Kimbo @ 6 Dec 2007, 19:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the introduction!

It looks fantastic! I really like it - I hope the tram line I've got planned will be just as good and as rewarding!!

Have you always liked the American-style tram? Brussels has plenty of those, they're starting to retire them from service though.

Hi Kimbo,

I just wanted cheap modern articulated trams and the Mehano Boeing LRVS fitted the bill perfectly - I call Route's End 2 as being "Anywhere in the English speaking World" the reason for being so generic is because most of the world's newest light rail systems are equally generic. Here in the UK we have:
London, Docklands Light Railway - Cars built by BN Bruges, Belgium.
Manchester Metrolink and Midland Metro - Cars built by Firema, Italy
Nottingham Express Transit - Cars built by Bombardier, Italy
Sheffield Supertram - Cars built by Siemens, Germany
Croydon Tramlink - Cars built by Bombardier, Austria
Tyne & Wear Metro - Cars built by Metro-Cammell, Great Britain

Some foreign examples:
Strasbourg, France - Cars built by Alstom, UK
Portland, Oregon, USA - Cars built by Skoda, Czech Republic

The list can go on and on..........

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts