Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was in Torquay recently on holiday, and I saw this sign for a model village. I live 5mins away from the world famous Bekonscot which has lots and lots of trains, so I thought I would go to this one to see what it was like.

The trains were dissapointing. There was one O guage BR diesel hauling afew goods wagons, the loco looked about 10 years old, rusty, and the rear bogie seemed to have detached, and flown away... As a result, the rear of the driving loco was dragging, noisily and ugly-ly along the track. It was quite upsetting

The other trains included a O guage single line that went from the football stadium to a building site, where they were building the olympics. This, unfortunatly was dissapointing as the train (a virgin 125 type) was very very tacky. It was flimsy looking, had painted on windows, a very ugly and unrealistic joint between the carrages AND the driver was a stuck on decal! It was horrible!

There was an undercover O guage layout as well, about 10x30ft. This was nice, but quite old and looks like it coudl do with some repair.

The only other train-action I spotted was the central shopping area which had some trams. These were ok, but they had very cheesy sound effects and lights which stopped abruptly when it stoped at the platforms (which were plastic pre-made type things that had warped in the sun)

All in all, rather disapointed with the trains at the babbacome model village but the actual village is pretty good. The models are nice, and the vans and shops have good names, such as R.U Leaky - Plumbing engineers, Robin Mee - Turf Acountants. etc.

It also had a pretty cool 3D cinema which I found highly interesting, as I was told it was impossible to project 3D images digitaly, but they seemed to have cracked it.

All in all, if you are in the area, then go and see it - but dont expect to be wowed with the trains. Im going to bekonscot tomorrow :-D

The Babbacome Village website

·
Registered
64 Posts
i libe right next to it and if you ask me it is rubbish. the trains a reold and need refurbishing. it used to be great when they hired about 4 guys just for the trains. and there was more track going everywhere, loads of steamers and live steam and things like 37's everywhere. allways seomthing new. but now it is just rubbish.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (hoarp001 @ 1 Sep 2007, 21:46) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The actual village is quite nice, but the trains were a letdown....

Sadly, often the way with model villages - and there is now excuse with the running qualities of LGB (well, maybe there is at the moment with the problems at LGB).

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 2 Sep 2007, 23:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like this one was done by a gardener rather than a railway modeller.

Unfortunately all to common - although I suppose it is fair to say that the owners of these model villages are out to make money primarily and not to please railway enthusiasts in particular. That having been said there is no excuse for running obviosly damaged locos. Incidentally what is that blue "thing" meant to represent?

Regards

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
generic goods train? holiday maker + kids arnt going to know its inconsistent with the rest of the layout...

Im going to bekonscot tomorrow to film. I hope its as good as I remember....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts