Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had my Loft converted in November Last year for to create my Railway, The Baseboards are being Installed on Monday next week I am very fortunate to be able to afford such a space, But the main thing in mins was Security for my collection as i collect Ho and N Gauge Swiss and German. So from a blank canvas i hope i will be able to create something for my Pleasure. I will give updates when i can and as i am retired it should not be a problem. Babs

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi Babs, Congrat With a Train room

Just some thoughts regarding the roof hight.... Since I have no Clue of how big this room is I would maby suggest you consider what hight you want the layout to be at for Your Comfort,
and also if building in modules is an idea so you can easily get to the sections you are working on by placing them where is best for Your work to be done.
Cheers
JC

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI JC Thank you for your input yes the Height is limiting to just over 5ft at the Apex the baseboards are going to be 20 inches high as i am vertically challenged and i have a seat which i will be sitting that is just right
the Width of the Layout is 9ft wide by 13 1/2 feet long down both sides and then some hinged sections at the loft hatch end so an oblong at least it will be secure. I have had some very good Locks fitted to the hatch with very special Keys. So if anybody has a loft layout they might be interested in them They can Pm me for Details. Babs

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Baseboards duly installed on Monday now i have wall to wall Great Job done All have been checked and level. so now the hard work begins. Babs

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looks fantastic babz.

You're rather lucky that you can convert your loft. Me, I can't as I have tons of things up in mine. (Junk)

How is your layout coming along ?

andy

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy Sorry I have not got back to you sooner and thank you for your Interest, I understand that you have just joined the Forum Welcome. They are all a very Helpful and Friendly Bunch. So Enjoy another Dimension of the Hobby with Like Minded People. Unfortunately I badly Hurt 2 fingers on my Right hand the same day when the Baseboards were Installed, I have not been back in the Loft Since. I am rather Lucky to be able to afford a dedicated Loft for my Layout and My Collection. My Interest was mostly German having been Born and Lived there But then Stupidly after working In Switzerland with Frequent times spending there I found I really Liked the Swiss Railway System so I started Collecting Them. And now that is Larger than the German collection. My Favorite Elok's are the Krokodiles And the Swiss 6/6's I do not know if you have ever seen any but I will post a Pic Below. TTFN Babs

·
Registered
155 Posts
Babz, hoping that your fingers get better soon.

The Krokodile looks wonderful.

That is why i use to love the european model market like roco etc, the detail on a DB locomotive was fantastic.

Get well soon Babz

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
HI Andy, The fingers are nearlly Healed Thank you. I was a very avid Fleischmann Fan until I discovered ROCO And now i think for me that they are Better , That is only my Opinion The First Roco Items I bought were N Gauge just at the point of them stopping doing Ngauge Great Shame But I do have Quite a Broad Range of Manufactures, Roco Fleischmann, Brawa, LS Models, Hag, Trix, Liliput,Tillig, Babs

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
This Is a small update on my Loft Layout After a bad start with damaging my fingers which have now Healed , I have now fitted many Safety handles for the Exit/ Entrance. Sorting all the rolling stock has taken Quite a while and it is all recorded and safely put into crates under the Layout boards. I have cleaned all the Track I have amassed with IPA and today i was able to lay an 11feet test track, I ran 5 loks that i have bought recently and everything was fine. Great Day. Here is a picture of one I bought Secondhand from Germany a Rivarossi Mallett very nice runner and in Immaculate condition.

And the others are a Trix SBB 6/6 Elok

And for the last one is a Roco 0-6-0 Nice little runner it has even a slot for a decoder.

Have a great Weekend Babs

·
Untitled
472 Posts
Hello,

Babz, is that Roco loco the same as the FLM one currently on offer? I'm sorely tempted by that, as I don't have a loco with a controllable coupler as yet. Yes, in agreement about seeing the loft. I need it to remind me to use the huge space I have available currently.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
HI Adrian, The 0-6-0 Is the Roco version, It runs sweet as a nut, I do have several Fleischmann Dampf's with the Digital Uncouplers, Despite what Fleischmann say If you have a ESU Loksound Decoder V4 installed you can connect the uncouplers to it. I bought several Digital Couplings direct from Fleischmann, They are not cheap and well worth it, I even have them fitted to 2 of my HAG Pope Mobiles with Zimo Decoders Slightly more complicated. But the Man from HAG/Techwiss who designed them helped us Immensely with the conversion and they are the Business.
pic's will follow on the Loft but Rome was not built in a day. Babs

http://vid1361.photobucket.com/albums/r675...zpsouudcjbt.mp4

Attachments

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reddo I do have a part number but i will have to dig it out tomorrow, Yes I am from Wetter Ruhr, But the statement of the ( Rome was not built in a day I is a figure of speach. Babs

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Everyone Here is just a few pics of the LoftBaseboards Installed with a test track Still sorting and putting Items in Boxes after running and Checking them. Babs

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
Update on Loft Part 2, After having the Heating Test Valves and Pressure Cocks removed and Put In the Void of the House So the Engineers can Service the Heating. Removed old Water Tank of 34 Years In Comes New Tank/ Coffin to be Put down the Length of the Rear of The House With Pipes In Corner Mostly under Floor. For those who Have a Trust Roof this is a Very Quick and Easy Conversion.

Picture of Joists Used

2nd Remove first four row of Tiles

3 Slide Joists between In Between Every Truss Loft Joist

A Look from Inside of Loft With W Pattern Joists In Place Before Cutting

Pic of Joists In Place And The Remaining Rafters Given Extra Strength

Now With Celotex and Space Blanket Before Boarding Up Plumbing to Be Finnished and 2nd Fix Electrics to be done.
This has Taken 4 Days
I hope this Inspires other People who are conemplating a Loft Space for there Layout.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts