Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Goodness me what a saga Babs.

As one who has struggled with installation of loft ladders in the past I can sympathise. The first one I did was a folding wooden one and all went well. In the next house I tried to fit a metal sliding one and it proved to be a nightmare. In the end I ripped it out and used a step ladder which we stored in the spare bedroom ....... believe it or not much safer. Now I live in a house with limited loft space so I have no need of loft ladders, now reverting, when needed to once again using a step ladder.

Your advice on underlay is good as there is nothing worse than a noisy loft railway which can reverberate throughout the house. I settled on cork sheets some years ago but I'm not sure if this is for the best. Anyway it's what I do. Proper underlay that is designed for specific types of track is probably better ..... which is what you've used.

I remeber your baseboard height being quite low and that would really cause me problems. I gave up servicing my own car because I was fed up laying on my back feeling nauseous gazing up at begrimed brake discs and rusted exhausts so when setting up my layout in the garage I put it on very tall legs so that i can comfortably sit in a chair underneath the baseboards. For the next stage I will be routing all wires in a conduit along the edge the base boards so that once I have point motor and feed cables installed all other work can be achieved with going underneath. Time will tell how effective this will prove to be.

Well done with the decoder installation. I should be tackling some of my old Brawa models that have no decoder socket but I'm just to lazy. I need to get motivated.

Stay safe and take care of yourself.

Best regards ...................... Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Just a random thought Babs ....................

............ another option could be to leave your existing baseboards as they are and just add elevated track sections on top. This would entail constructing a simple board shaped roughly to accommodate your track diagram ........ this could be constructed downstairs in sections ..... even with track already laid before you take it up to the loft. Holding the "trackboard" 5 or 6 inches above the baseboard would then be a simple matter of mounting it on short, stumpy leg sections only 5 inches in height. You could even sort out droppers and point motor wiring downstairs.

The existing baseboards would then provide you with the opportunity to have "rolling countryside," cuttings, embankments, viaducts or, perhaps, you could construct a station building board downstairs at your leisure which in turn could be placed on your existing baseboard but also employing the short, stumpy 5 inch leg method. Scenery can easily be built up with polystyrene blocks (free supply with packaging) or by using the chicken wire covered in paper mache or other material method. I did this years ago and was very pleased with the result ....... a cutting through the East Anglian Heights, built up in my loft ..... oh 4 houses ago. If only I had taken photographs.

As I said, just some random thoughts. The world is not flat.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
Hi Babs,

Good to see another loft layout update.

Are you thinking of adding a 6 inch extension along the edge of the baseboard so that the station building can move 6 inches to the left?

If you are also thinking of cutting into the higher baseboard that runs behind the station building to give you that extra platform length then that is a more difficult job.

·
Premium Member
1,545 Posts
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 11 Mar 2021, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Babs,

Good to see another loft layout update.

Are you thinking of adding a 6 inch extension along the edge of the baseboard so that the station building can move 6 inches to the left?

If you are also thinking of cutting into the higher baseboard that runs behind the station building to give you that extra platform length then that is a more difficult job.

I had another thought Babs.

If you raised the level of your station building to be above the tracks then your platforms could run underneath thus giving you extra length. You would then have steps or escalators down to platform level. No extra baseboard work would be required except for something supporting the station building.

Just an idle thought and if i have completely misunderstood your thinking then I apologise.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts