Model Railway Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi Everyone Alan Thank you for the reply. for me i think it is going to have to be Crimps as i am not that good with a soldering iron, i know it looks simple but i think you have to do a massive amount before it gets good. Thank you

Norman the raising of the legs is 5 and 3/4 inches give or take i did think along the lines of blocks under each leg and then i would not have to cut very much. it is worth a try and see how say a small section pans out Should i make them Square and would i get that sort of thickness. Oh i wish life was so simple.
Norman did you not mention you wanted to use a site to put pictures on the forum i know of a very good site which is hassle free i will PM you and you still own the pics they just do not want to be overloaded it is a British site and some people have been abusing it with mass Downloads so you have to register there is no fee but if you wish you can make a donation. I will also send you some pics of the woodwork.!!!

Hope everyone is well
Babs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Babz, don't know if you made a decision on the platforms or not but I have the Auhagen 11 376 and Kibri 39558. The Auhagen one is 11mm high and the Kibri one 10mm high. The platform width on kits seems to be based on the popular set track systems. I believe that Auhagen and Brawa both make platform sides that you then use with your own choice of surface and can be made as wide as you like,
Best wishes,
Simon

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Simon Good Afternoon. I have a few plastic platforms but i did not think they were very good so i am going to use ply wood ,because my Scale platform length is more than 6 feet and so are my Swiss Trains in rakes. Getting wood at the moment is difficult. We will seehow it goes.
Stay Safe & Well.
Babs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Babz,
That does indeed sound a better proposition, the wood will be more cost effective and possibly sturdier too. At least the kit details will give an idea of the platform height. The other thing is that you'll be able to customise the wood to the width you require to fit the track spacings,
Best wishes,
Simon

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
QUOTE (Babz @ 12 May 2020, 12:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Simon Good Afternoon. I have a few plastic platforms but i did not think they were very good so i am going to use ply wood ,because my Scale platform length is more than 6 feet and so are my Swiss Trains in rakes. Getting wood at the moment is difficult. We will seehow it goes.
Stay Safe & Well.
Babs

Hi Babs,
The length of platforms is one of the things I would like to change on my layout, but I had to be guided by available space when I constructed it, mine are about 1M actual length, so I guess, 87M scale length, so I can't stop long rakes in the station,
generally, I can fit a loco and 3 coaches.
Hopefully, if I ever stop working
, I will get rid of the office furniture and extend the layout around the newly available space in the loft, and create another station on the other side with 2M platforms.
Hope you are making progress on your layout.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hi Simon & Alan
since this lockdown i have managed to do so much. I have been cutting underlay ( woodland scenics ) for 40 points and 40 curves radius 4 and 3 and 2. Sorting on the electronic side DCC bus and CDU for a lot of points that will work together with Digikeijs dr 4018. I also started building a Metcalfe Viaduct which will be finished in Noch Stone Cladding and if things go well the will be 2 Suspension Bridges with a total of 4 tracks on upper level. I also in the middle of building a set of 6 half releif houses from Faller. There not the best but will be okay and i have 2 stations on the go as well. I Have2 BRAWA 43998 Bls eloks Traxx br186 with Dccsound + Extra fitted. Coming tomorrow I think that is right so all in all a busy time,but i am retired and getting old.
My SBB double decker Rakes made me come to the conclusion that i needed 6 ft Platforms and as i am lucky to have the potential of 19ft x 10ft all round the loft it will look good. I have also Have few rather large Swiss eloks real one is are 34 mtrs long in real klife and the model is a fantastic engine with 2 motors and 2 sound decoders. So to have a realist rake of 20 wagons or more will look good.
Thank you for your interest.
I am off to bed now stay safe and well.
TTFN. Babs

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Good Afternoon Everyone, While this Lockdown maybe some what over ( I am not so sure ) my time has been spent on the Layout I have been building a large Faller Station Pic Below and putting underlay on 30 feet of Track woodland Scenics not much to show at the moment, Also i am just finishing some Half relief houses although they are Faller they are not that good but a bit of weathering at some point would be good. Had a bit of a Blow today only just found out That Fleischmann/ Roco Have actually stopped making there Profi Track. I needed a pair of 3 way points and have had to look all over i have now secured a pair. Station not Quite Finished Delicates will be put on up in the Loft Hope you
like them Babs

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Just browsing the last page of your thread...
I have two questions about "continental" platforms...
1. where there were only short length platforms would some trains stop twice - pulling forward to bring a second set of carriages into position?
2. Were some platforms not just different in height on different companies and in different places but sometimes different in height along their length? Here in the UK this still occurs in a few places where early platforms were built low and later extensions built to a new (higher) standard.

I'm glad you guys are continuing to post, most UK people seem to have gone into hibernation...

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Hi Bear 1923 Thank you for your interest. Most of rakes of Trains in the Swiss IC ones DoubleDeckercars ar 6feet long. The station picture is 3 feet long now that will be added to make up to 6 feet. The smaller swiss Stations do have Shorter platforms and run local trains so no they do not go past twice.
Now regarding the height of the platforms they do vary in height and length in smaller stations Meringhen for example the middle platforms are a lot lower much to my surprise.
The longer ones will be made out of ply wood 6mm all on peice so should look good.
The station above will beat the end of a set of 4 platforms. It should look good when it is done.
Thank you for your interest.
Babs

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Babs,
Just a quick note to say "Hello"!
It's "Allegheny1600" here, I got locked out of this site for quite a while and I couldn't get back in no matter what I tried so a new identity it was!
I'm so sorry to read of your woes, that sounded very painful when the loft ladder fell, all better now I hope?
Good to see that you've kept going, that's a lovely station you have there.
All the best,
John.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Hi John Welcome back. It was puzzling computer problem. Yes still plodding on i have just finished 148 feet of underlay on my track and that is only a third of it. I am using profi Fleischmann Track but i wanted to deaden the noise on the baseboards. I am using woodland scenics with Copydex that you told me about andhas turned out very well. All the dropper wires have been soldered soido not have to do anything in the loft Are you still in UK? I know you had plans. What a different world we live in now.. The loft ladder issue got even worse and i am in the process of legal action.
Talk soon withsome pics great to see you and Reddo back. Babs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello everyone,
The platform height often varied depending on the type of line, so branchline platforms would be lower than mainlines and in Germany, S bahn lines had higher platforms to make entering and exiting the train quicker. As Babz said, sometimes the platforms would be of different heights in the same station too.

In larger stations, there was a lower platform between the tracks that was used for loading baggage, you can see this on images of Cologne and Leipzig Hauptbahnhofs for example.

That’s a shame about the profi track, it is nice track system and looks better than the Roco ready ballasted version in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Good Morning Everyone This is some of the work i have been doing for my upper section of my layout and it is also my first card kit i am 90% of the way through the viaduct first section and have purchased another 2 kits from Metcalfe i have a 11.5 feet section to fill there is also going to be 2 Suspension bridges at the end of the viaduct the bridges are 1372mm in length so with the 3 Metcalfe Viaduct kits joined together i will only have a short section to deal with. They arrived yesterday Great Service and Quality Kits. I had to reduce the Height of the Viaduct Legs by 1 and 1/4 inches so the track bed would come level with the upper section. It went better than i thought and it is very strong. Thank you for reading
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Hi Everyone been very busy over the last couple of days Been getting my prioritys right by Building A Faller Brewery ( Very Micro ) it is not finished yet but went together very well. Hope you like it
Babs

·
Administrator
9,941 Posts
Nice

I've always liked Faller kits

David

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Hi DWB & John who replied to my other post. Yes they are good kits they have even improved the method of glazing so you do not get glue on the glass. This is the first Faller kit i managed to not get any glue where it should not be.There are still some very fiddly bits to do. I will get there. I amwaiting for the weather to cool down so i can continue with my Track laying.
Take care everyone and stay safe.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
HI Everyone i just thought i would post a couple of pics of some of my Favourite Loks that i have in my collection The Elok is SBB and in real life i understand it is 34 mtrs long. The Dampf is a French engine which was restored and kept in Switzerland near the French border andruns special trains i they are both DCC sound and made by Trix i hope you like them
Babs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Very nice looks Babs, I especially like the steam one. I’ve got a couple of Trix ones and am impressed with them.

The metcalfe viaduct looks very good, what’s the track bed width?

Many thanks,
Simon

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Simon Good Morning The Metcalfe kit goes together very well once i had the correct glue it was very quick to Make. The width of the Track bed is 4 inches and as i am running Ho it is no problem as it has been designed forr OO mainly.
Hope you are well stay safe.
Babs

61 - 80 of 106 Posts