Model Railway Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Babs,
Oh wow! Those two locos are something to be treasured, they are both fantastic. I honestly don't know which would be my favourite, I love steam but equally love older elloks!
I would also say that Trix is my favourite brand now, they are just so robust and have good customer service. I used to love Fleischmann but since we 'lost' them, I moved on.
Best regards,
John.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
HI John E, Thank you for your interest The Loks are superb to say the least, I like you gave up buying Fleischmann a few years ago the Roco/ Fleischmann took the shine of those products. I have now stopped buying Roco because i had some issues with a failure rate of over 50% wrote to them it took them 3 months to reply and they never addressed the issue they just did not want to know. The Marklin/Trix brand have got better and better and are built to last There customer service is Superior to say the least.
Hope you are well and stay safe.
Kind Regards
Babs

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hi Everyone Just a small update on my Layout which is taking forever I am waiting for some help to move the baseboards 6 inches so i maximise the Station End my Platforms are going to be 6 feet in Length so i can accommodate some Roco SBB & Bls Railcars I am also putting
woodland Scenics underlay on the track t deaden the Noise so when i have sound I get a better Quality I do wish the World would give me more notice if they are going to have a pandemic as it really destroys my plans. But also my age does not stop. I hope everyone is well and staying safe.
Babs

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Hi Babs,

Good to see another loft layout update.

Are you thinking of adding a 6 inch extension along the edge of the baseboard so that the station building can move 6 inches to the left?

If you are also thinking of cutting into the higher baseboard that runs behind the station building to give you that extra platform length then that is a more difficult job.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 11 Mar 2021, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Babs,

Good to see another loft layout update.

Are you thinking of adding a 6 inch extension along the edge of the baseboard so that the station building can move 6 inches to the left?

If you are also thinking of cutting into the higher baseboard that runs behind the station building to give you that extra platform length then that is a more difficult job.

Best regards ................. Greyvoices (alias John)

I had another thought Babs.

If you raised the level of your station building to be above the tracks then your platforms could run underneath thus giving you extra length. You would then have steps or escalators down to platform level. No extra baseboard work would be required except for something supporting the station building.

Just an idle thought and if i have completely misunderstood your thinking then I apologise.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
QUOTE (Greyvoices @ 11 Mar 2021, 23:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had another thought Babs.

If you raised the level of your station building to be above the tracks then your platforms could run underneath thus giving you extra length. You would then have steps or escalators down to platform level. No extra baseboard work would be required except for something supporting the station building.

Just an idle thought and if i have completely misunderstood your thinking then I apologise.

Best regards ................ Greyvoices (alias John)

I'm with you on that one, John. If Babs raises the building, it also gives a more plausible street access behind the building, and possibly even a few more inches (OK, centimetres!) of track and platform length into the bargain.

Great progres there, Babas, regardless of whether or not you like the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Good Morning Everyone, and thanks for your thoughts and comments. The problem of the 6 inches of baseboard is not in length but in width. If you expand the pic you might just be able to make out behind the viaduct there is 6 inches of wasted space. The viaduct is sitting on a 6feet section and joined onto another 11 feet section which you cannot see. We did put two 6 inch plugs to expand the width of the layout but it has not given me the extra i thought i would have so we are going to remove the plugs at both ends and regain the width i originally had. The problem is i have to get under a complicated section to remove some supports and my aging body full of arthritis will not allow me to do it hence why I have been waiting for help it was all planned before the pandemic started and then lockdown hit. Game over for now. But there is light at the end of the Tunnel. All will become clear. Babs

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I can see that with the roof sloping down as it does that you can't move the viaduct any further back. For the bit behind the viaduct, could you curve some scenery up to meet the ceiling, to give some sort of scenic backdrop to the viaduct, seen through the arches?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Hi SRMan That is what i intended to do after I saw it on another Forum. I have a few back scenes that might suit. When i ordered that section of the board i understood it was going to be 36 inches wide but sadly it is only 32. The viaduct from the baseboard to the upper track is 4 inches which was governed by the upper section to the left which sits above the coffin water tank That section cannot go any lower otherwise i would have. It will come good when we get released from our prisons.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Hi Babs,
Hope you get your baseboards sorted out soon, then you can start making progress with your layout which I am looking foreword to seeing
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Alan Thank you for the encouragement it has gone painfully slow for one reason or another. Babs

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Well The P way Baseboard team have been Under the Baseboards ( MySelf ) Bruises included I know i am short in Stature but by Golly I did not realise how tight it was Electric Screwdrivers are a God send.I have one more section to unscrew because it took two weeks to recover the very painful arm and . I have also been building some Kibri Swiss Chalet buildings and putting People in Coaches in preparation for coach lighting 12 Coaches Done another 32 to go. The first twelve are SBB & Bls Coaches with Driving Trailers Nice Sets

SBB Version in Picture

For the first 12 We are using Trix LED Lighting sets which go with the Coaches, Next 32 we are using Viessmann LED lighting with Decoder and Capacitors These are Marklin Sets and the Wheel sets have been Changed to DC They are with SBB Panorama Coaches included

And the Last set is SudostBahn Marklin With wheels changed to DC They were all bought Secondhand of the Bay and they are all Mint in Box
Progress Is painfully slow in more ways than my arm but still plodding on.

Take care Everyone Babs

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Hi Babs,
Glad to hear you are finally making a bit of progress, even at the expense of some bumps and bruises, at our age it doesn't take much to put us out of action

Good luck with the rest of the passengers and lighting on the coaches. It can get a bit tedious at times especially if you have lots to do, but the end result is well worth it.
looking forward to more updates.
Regards and stay safe
Alan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Babs,

Nice to see that you are progressing, it can be a challenge.

With your Marklin sets, are they lighted and are you just changing the wheel sets?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Hi Adrian All the Marklin Coaches have had there wheel sets changed to DC. All the coaches 44 in total have /are being fitted with people and Trix lighting LED sets and in the Marklin i am putting ESU led Lighting with decoders already fitted and stay alive units in all of them. I mentioned Viessmann lighting previous post it should have been ESU. Thank you for asking. Babs

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Hi Everyone Just thought i would share a Small Part of my Project I bought some Fleischmann 4881 Sets with 5 Coaches in each set with the BR94 some time ago, They needed a Hardwire socket ( Which I make no claim to ) I then installed a Zimo 6 pin Decoder and replaced the old Lighting Bulbs with New Viessmann LED which just so happens to be the same Thread Lucky me Now we can see the lights when the Engine is Running. Hit a snag with baseboard But will be sorted shortly. Thank Goodness. Babs

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Hi Kristopher, The Slow running is Excellent with the Decoder and the Big Cog wheel. Even without the decoder they are great. I never thought when i bought the sets that they would be Digitised but now it is done it makes it so much better. Thank you for your interest. Babs

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Babs,
It’s been too long since I visited your topic, sorry!
I am very happy to hear that you’re making progress, even at the expense of pain, hopefully some paracetamol or something takes care of that.
I don’t usually get excited about Swiss stuff but those Maerklin coaches of yours look superb, hope you enjoy running them soon.
All the best,
John

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Hi Everyone Hope you are all well. Finally my ESU Ecos 2 has arrived in the Uk. My attention span is very short at the moment. Is there any tips and do's and Don'ts that anyone can give me Thanking you in advance Babs

81 - 100 of 104 Posts