After reading many related threads on the forum, I decided to try out the TCS T1 decoder for the following reasons. It is good value for money, is a reasonably compact package, has good spec and is well recommended.
Converting this Loco was very enjoyable, the Bachmann PCB is discarded and it's metal mounting posts need to be sawn or cut off, then filed flat. Although hidden by the outer shell, I decided to paint this new surface black to keep things tidy. The TCS decoder is a perfect fit, I secured it with two sticky pads.
I havn't decided if I will fit lights to this model yet, but I wanted to test the forward & reverse lighting function as this is the first loco I've converted. Hence the basic test LED arrangement seen in the photo. For the time being, I've resisted the temptation to trim any of the wires just incase.
The problem is........my DCC system is yet to arrive, so I can't try it! With a bit of luck, all will be well.